Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iPhoto is not opening - keeps spinning and I do not know

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there - ***** ***** - my iPhoto is not opening - keeps spinning and I do not know how to repair it..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If I click on iPhoto - the spinning sign comes up - keeps spinning - I cannot click on iPhoto in the bar up the top and get any response.... then I get a report that says to try and re-open or cancel...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure..
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are two reasons for this problem. Either the iPhoto application is corrupted or it is the iPhoto Library that has corrupted. We can rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not.

Close iPhoto if it is open. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes Click Rebuild. This may take a few minutes to complete.

After rebuilding, iPhoto will open.

If it is still quitting after rebuilding, then we have to rebuild the iPhoto application using a third party application named iPhoto Library Manager. Download and install it from here (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Open iPhoto Library Manager. Select your iPhoto Library, click on Library menu in the top and select Rebuild Library. This will verify the library. Then click the Rebuild button on the right side.

After rebuilding, open iPhoto.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm going offline. So please don't accept the remote support offer now as I will not be able to get back to you for a few hours. Only accept the remote support offer after getting my confirmation in here as a reply (while we're both online)

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know by replying in here and I will get back to you ASAP and continue to help you. Thanks.