Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

Ashik, The last thing you had me try was the PRAM--now my

Customer Question

Ashik, The last thing you had me try was the PRAM--now my computer does not work. I can turn it on & sign in, then it goes to my desktop & flashes between that & black constantly. I can't get into anything. I have an appointment that I have to leave for soon so I cannot do anything today but could we set up a time tomorrow that you can just get into my computer together? I am in Mountain time zone & will be available from 9:30AM for the rest of the day. I am using my husbands computer so please contact me at his email.***@******.***. Thank you Sherry Zimmerman
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be available from 9:30 AM tomorrow (mountain time) for the rest of the day.
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! Ashik is unavailable but I can help sort out the issue for you. Just post back when your ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ready. Ashik had said we could set up a live help session where you can get into my computer & help me

Ok no worries I can do that as well. LEt me send you the offer. One moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds good, lets proceed

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=fa7a5f3b-61bb-4c0f-823f-5fb5097adbd2&Type=Java

Please click the link above.

if your mac says it cannot open applications from unidentified developers

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General. Click allow from anywhere then close window and open file again.we can change this back later.

Also are you not able to connect to the internet at all on your mac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the above & cannot do anything with system preferences. I am not able to connect to the internet on my MacBook

Ic ant connect if there isnt any internet. I do however have a solution. Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know. If that is ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, just followed the above instructions. It is installing on Mac HD & shows 18 min remaining. I will get back to you when it is done

Sounds good ill be here:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the whole thing & it is right back to flashing screen & no connection!!!

Is the screen turning black then back to your desktop? Can you access system preferences?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
flipping between black & desktop. I have system preferences up right now

There also might be a hardware conflict disconnect anything that is connected to your usb ports ). Then follow the steps below

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts TWICE.
8. Release the keys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of the above did anything. I am not able to sign in now & it thinks I have a problem but won't let me reset password.

try this to reset your password

• Turn off your Mac.

• Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then in new account, goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account with the new password. Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when attempting this I never saw a text prompt but it came up where I could change my Apple password. That was successful but now my keychain password ***** not work

no worries we can reset that ass well

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am lost, the only thing I can do is access Apple or finder preferences. Not finding applications or utilities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, finally got to the right place but when I click Reset my default keychain it say "the specified keychain is not a valid keychain file"

We can just delete the keychain then reset your mac.

Choose File > Delete Keychain.. ( login keychain should be the one selected)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did that, "delete keychain" is not highlighted for me to use

Maske sure to have the login keychain selected from the list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw nothing that said login keychain. Went to look again, but when keychain access there is nothing "0 items"

Lets try making a new user and see if that use has the same issue

CLick apple icon

select system preferences

select users (or accounts in earlier versions)

then Click the plus icon ( underneath the list of users)

and select to make a admin user

you can use whatever name you like as long as it is not the same as your current user

then click ok

select the apple icon and select sign out

and sign in to the new account

is it the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am into my new account & my dock is back and I can use Safari. Hooray!!!! What next?

Ok so the issue is tied to your user account. That means either some software or settings is causing this. Can you switch back to the affected user then Click the apple icon and select system preferences. Then click the user/accounts icon and select your user name. Once you select your name there will be a tab that says login items. Delete every item in that list except for iTunes helper. Then restart your mac and test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I am back to my original account & it is just flashing again!! gggrrrr

I can attempt to connect to the affected user but we must verify your have internet. IF not we have two choices 1. hunt down the program thats causing this 2. just use the new user. Its up to you but the former can be a lengthy process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I like option 2, I am connected to internet under this new user. Original act has no connection.

We would have to be able to connect to that user. The reason being that each user is unable to see each others files. We can try the below and see if that works. What the following does is reset your users settings for each application.

From the finder menu bar click go.

Hold the option key on your keyboard.

Click on the library option that appears when you hold down option.

Then look for a folder called preferences.

on your desktop create a new folder

Then from the preferences folder move every file that is in there to the folder on the desktop

MAke sure there is no files/folders left in preferences.

Then click the apple icon and reset/restart

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the instructions---which account am I doing this on?

Your original account please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have all but 3 moved to new folder. 3 files just keep reinventing themselves in the preferences folder so I cannot completely empty like you instructed..............

No worries it just the system creating files it needs currently go ahead and reset then test please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under the new account I am on the internet

We're you able to reset and check tour original account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have signed in under original acct , it did a setup & now I have my dock & no screen flashing. Can you take over now?

sure just follow these steps

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=18f75817-e8d2-40e2-99f4-763d6bfe693b&Type=Java

Please click the link above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having to install Java so be back in a bit

sounds good ill be here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it appears to be installed (I think)

ok go ahead and open the file that downloaded when you accepted the terms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we staying in the session or should I close out?

You can close it out .:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now what? If you would like we can get back together tomorrow or Sat if you are working.

Its your system still having issues? Cause if not we should be done :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my system is back to working fine. My original reason for contacting you is that my new backup HD is not working. I contacted WD about it & they said the problem was not with my new drive but with my computer. I contacted Just Answer, Ashim started having me do a couple things, that is when my computer went wonky so we have spent the rest of the session fixing my computer. I do have a question about backup in general---can you back up everything in iCloud & not bother with an external drive? I am going to have to leave the house to get a prescription picked up. Let me know when we can continue

Icloud has a storage limit so it depends on how many files you want backed up and just post back and i will connect again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, tomorrow if you are there, thanks

I will be have a happy new year :)

Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Johnny Mack seems to have answered you so far so I'll leave the question for him.