John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Tried updating an old iPad 2 software and now it won't

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** tried updating an old iPad 2 software and now it won't restore or update. The apple comes up it starts to load the IOS software and boom the screen goes black and it gives an error message. The progress meter across the iPad 2 does not get very far when it fails
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well it is an iPad 2 model MC769LL running IOS version 4.3.5 and I am connected to a Windows 7 machine. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes and performed a backup of the iPad before attempting the upgrade now i Have the cord with an arrow and the iTunes logo displaying on the iPad
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Please try this:

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will erase your Apple device, removing any passcodes, re-install the operating system, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple iPad device directly to it

* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device completely shuts off).

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen will be completely black.

Note #2: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This solution ended in same result.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get any errors from iTunes during the process?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the Apple comes up on the iPad and then goes away and then the progress bar shows up and after about 20 seconds the screen goes black and the cycle begins again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do a phone call if you think you can resolve this issue
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and what does iTunes on the computer report at the time you see the progress bar and the cycle repeats?