Please try this:
The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will erase your Apple device, removing any passcodes, re-install the operating system, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).
* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple iPad device directly to it
* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device completely shuts off).
* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds
* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...
* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.
Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen will be completely black.
Note #2: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.
If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.
If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.
Did you get any errors from iTunes during the process?
Ok, and what does iTunes on the computer report at the time you see the progress bar and the cycle repeats?