Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

When I open iMovie 9.0.9 on a very big project with lots of

Customer Question

Customer: When I open iMovie 9.0.9 on a very big project with lots of clips, it starts to search for "movie data" in every one of them. This goes on for many hours. I know you have already solved this by going into Library > Preferences > com.apple.iMovie(insert version here).plist but I have several problems with this method. They are as follows: My home folder doesn't have a "library" folder in it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Secondly, when I found this folder by going to (My name)'s Macbook pro > Macintosh HD > Library, the file wasn't there. Any ideas?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: If you fix the problem, I'm happy to pay. Do you have any initial thoughts? Thanks.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Hold Option and go to the word Go at the top of your screen then you will see the hidden Home Library, let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where am I supposed to be when I press option?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

The Finder the first icon in the Dock then you see Go at the top of the screen

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can already access the home, but there is no "library" in it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is what it looks like for me
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

You have to use the word Go at the top of the screen and hold the Option key? Did you see my offer to remote connect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has popped up now, thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK let me know. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** able to find the correct file for iMovie 9.0.9: com.apple.iMovieApp.plist. Now, what changes do I need to make?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
System version: 10.11.1
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

You should be using iMovie 10 not version 9.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then sDisk Utilityelect Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. If all is ok go to the Apple Logo to App Store and check for Updates

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I already have both iMovie 10 and 9.0.9. installed. The reason I am using 9.0.9 is a bit complicated...I created a movie on 9.0.9 some years ago, then recently realized I should finalize and export it. However, when I did this I realized iMovie was unable to find some of the original clips, which may have been moved.I am now replacing the clips one by one by finding them again in my hard disk drives, but the error I am getting makes it take a lot longer. I cannot start again in iMovie 10 as I would lose all my edits and not know where to begin.So, for the time being, I cannot move to iMovie 10 for this video. Sorry if that makes the problem harder to solve.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

You can't have them both becaue iMovie 10 will convert your library for 10 and you can't use it in 9 any more.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is strange as I have edited projects in both simultaneously and have experienced no problems.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Obviously you are here so you have some problems

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They weren't occurring until I started to work on this particular movie again. Other movies I have made in 9.0.9. worked fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK I don't see how that can work unless you have separate Libraries. So what is the problem I don't understand if it was working what is not working now>?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think I may have separate libraries... I found one where you told me to look and one in (My name)'s Macbook Pro > Macintosh HD > Library but there is nothing to do with iMovie in this one.As for your second question, the problem I am experiencing is whenever I go to this particular project it gives me a stream of messages saying "searching for movie data in clip XYZ.mov". I need to know how to stop this as it goes on for about an hour every time I make an edit.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Not that Library you iMovie libraries are in your Movies folder

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK I see... give me a second to look into this...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a library in Movies, but also ones on my two disk drives.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
However I use all three for both versions of iMovie because of the storage I need.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have to go but should be back in under an hour - sorry for the inconvenience.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK you can't run both versions you just reset the Preferences for both that will never work

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, but I am nonetheless running both versions. However I only need to know what alterations to make to the file in "Preferences", could you talk me through that?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

There is nothing you can do with Preferences other than trash it and allow it to make new one. Do not open version 10 if you open version 10 it changes the Preferences for version 10 but those are general anyway and will have almost no affect on an individual Project

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do I delete, the file or the folder?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Just the plist file

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have deleted com.apple.iMovieApp.plist. So should I open iMovie 9.0.9?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Yes but I suspect the problem is with the project not the plist file

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK so what did deleting the plist file do?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Just resets the Preferences for iMovie.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I opened iMovie, then when I went back into the folder the file appeared then disappeared. Is this normal?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Yes, when you quit is is saved

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, now how do I fix the issue?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Your question was about finding the Library folder which I showed you how to find. I really need to remote connect to see if your problem can be solved. I have no idea if you are using the same Library from both versions... Or what has happened in all this time... Do you have a Time Machine backup?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My original question was how to fix the error - I was then referred to you about this. What more would you be able to do with remote connect?Also, I am backed up with time machine.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

When was the last time this project worked? I need to look at a lot of things

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I haven't been on it since 2013, before I installed iMovie 10.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Late 2013.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a backup before that time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I don't have it going back that far.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK I can see what I can do but you have to Accept the offer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think I will try a service provider near here first - I will get back to you if I still need help. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Great. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry but as my original question has not been answered, I can't give you a rating of 3 stars or higher. You have been helpful but as I still can't use iMovie I have to rate you as such.
Would it be better if I gave 2 stars or didn't rate?
Best Regards, Tom
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Well I could help you but that is your choice. Please do not rate if you can't rate at OK or higher... thank you...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK I won't then - thanks anyway
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so I don't get paid for time. Happy Holidays...