Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am currently on iMac OS 10.7.5 and using Quark 9.3.

Customer Question

I am currently on iMac OS 10.7.5 and using Quark 9.3. Everything was going great then out of the blue, I launch Quark and am getting "unexpectedly quit" every time. I am not trying to open a document to launch Quark, I am directly launching the program. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, moved the Welcome Screen to "Disabled XTensions" before launching. Over and over . . .all to no avail. I was up all night last night trying to fix it as I, of course, have a big project I am in desperate need of putting out yesterday. I do not know where to go from here or what work around I can come up with to get me by until I have more time to address the situation. It is CRITICAL I get this fixed and something going!! I am beside myself trying to work it out. ANY help would be appreciated. Kris
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Let's check some things before we begin: Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

If that is ok I suggest you update to Quark 9.5.4.1:

http://www.quark.com/support/downloads/Details.aspx?fid=277

Then let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mike, I followed your instructions for the Recovery HD and everything went smooth. I then attempted to launch my Quark program only to have the same failure. Therefore, I followed your suggestion of upgrading to Quark 9.5.4. I was hesitant to do that as I had installed that version some time ago and just had problems with it. However, it was when it first came out as just the 9.5. I was not aware until your instructions that there were updates to that 9.5 which has apparently made it much more stable. Bless you for your help! After hours and hours of trying to beat and curse this problem into submission, I FINALLY had success. I am so relieved! I did get my project out to Proof and everything seems to be going smoothly. I cannot thank you enough. Could you just let me know what happens on the charges now and what to expect? Have a very Happy Holiday, be safe and may your New Year be one of Joy and Happiness spent with good friends and family. Sincerely, Kris
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Same to you!!! I get paid if you kindly provide an OK or Above Rating. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

If the problem comes back the other thing you can try is creating a folder in Applications / Quark called Preferences with Quark closed then reopen it. Trashing Fonts cache can also help.

http://jamapi.com/pr/fn/

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Is it still working ok?