Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

What is the point of the Cloud? I recently lost a lot of

Customer Question

What is the point of the Cloud? I recently lost a lot of data, contacts & photos from my iPhone 6, thru my own fault. Thought I could retrieve that data from the Cloud & went to my local Apple store for help. Since I did not save the photos a particular way, I could not retrieve them. No data could be recaptured. Also, I was told that since automatic backups from my iPad had taken up so much room, there wasn't sufficient space on the Cloud for my iPhone to back up anyway. Apple rep said the Cloud is like a big impenetrable concrete block. One cannot retrieve specific data. What is the point of backing up then? Why should I buy more backup space if I can't retrieve specific data? How do I backup photos to the Cloud & how do I make room in the Cloud to back up if I don't know or care what is there?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 11 months ago.

Hello there! If you connected your iphone to any mac or pc then its possible your information is saved to a back up on itunes. This is done automatically. Follow the steps below to check for any backups saved on itunes

Click edit ( or preferences) then iTunes Preferences > Devices. here will be a list of backups. If you have a back up listed then follow the steps below

1. Go to File > Devices > Restore from Backup. If you're using Windows and don’t see a File menu, press the Alt key.
  2. Look at the date and size of each backup and pick the most relevant.
  3. Click restore
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This was NOT a $33 answer! Where do I start to find "edit"? As I explained in my question, I was told that the iPhone could not perform a backup because too much data had already been backed up from my iPad. But I also understand that I cannot access the Cloud to delete specific data I don't need to keep in the Cloud. Is that true? So I would have to delete my entire iPad backup in order to make more room for an iPhone backup, right? What is the point of backing up to the Cloud if you cannot retrieve data that is backed up? Also, do you mean to tell me that there is another backup, separate from the Cloud that backs up data through iTunes? Can I get a more responsive, detailed answer? And again, "click edit...". where do I go to start the process you describe? Thanks, ***** *****

This backup would be down on your computer. That has nothing to do with icloud. iTunes would have this back in its library thus you would be able to access. YOu can also just click itunes ( from the menu bar) and select preferences.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You aren't answering my questions. Not excellent service. I want my money back!!!!

Sorry did you not get my offer for a phone call? I wanted to explain the details further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just saw your phone call offer. It's Christmas & I'm not waiting by my PC for your response....Funny that I have to spend MORE $ to talk to you....what is your time zone? I'm busy but maybe could set a time....

I am on from 8 am to 9 pm PST. Let know what time is good for you.

Or i could also remote connect to your computer for free and do it for you. Your choice :)

Hello again. I am posting back because i have not heard from you hopefully this a good thing as your problem is possibly fixed. Please either post back if your still having problems or just rate this reply