Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I need help. I can't open maxbookmair. It keeps asking and I

Customer Question

I need help. I can't open maxbookmair. It keeps asking for password ***** I enter it and it starts asking again. It's brand new and had one class in Colorado be fore I moved here...just three days ago. I don't know where an Apple Store is that is close but if you could get mine open I would be grateful.
Ruth
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! If this the password ***** your user account please follow the steps belwo

• Turn off your Mac.

• Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then in new account, goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account with the new password. Let me know the results please.

If this is a lock that shows up on startup then follow these steps

get one extra stick of ddr3 ram for your mac

take out the ones that are in there

put in the new one

( now here is the tricky part)

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys

then turn on your mac

make sure to hold these keys till your mac reset 4 TIMES

if you do not do one of these steps correctly the password ***** get written to the new ram and we will have to start all over again.

Hello again. I am posting back because i have not heard from you hopefully this a good thing as your problem is possibly fixed. Please either post back if your still having problems or just rate this reply