Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Turned off ipad during backup because it was connected to

Customer Question

turned off ipad during backup because it was connected to cellular not wifi. Now I can not get it to continue
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First we can reset your iPad and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Does it work now ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It comes on but it says I need to connect to itunes
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

It has to be restored from iTunes on your computer. I will send you instructions now.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
will this lose all my stuff on my ipad
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

We have to restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade mode). Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately Yes. That screen indicates that everything is already lost. Restoring the iPad is your only option. I'm sorry.

But if you had backed up your iPad to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
where do I find itunes application on my computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Are you using an Apple Mac or Windows PC ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
apple mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

You will find iTunes application under Applications folder. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Applications folder. OPen iTunes.

Connect your iPad and it will ask you to restore it. Restore it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
where is applications folder
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

On your Mac, click on the blue Finder icon on the dock (the first icon). Now you will see a Go menu at top bar. Click it and select Applications. This will bring Applications folder. You will find iTunes there.

Or just search iTunes in Spotlight. Spotlight is the search feature of your Mac. You can open Spotlight search by clicking the magnifier icon at the top right corner of your Mac.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
found the magnifier and itunes and click on it but does not pull it up
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Double click on iTunes to open it. You will see the iTunes icon on dock. Click it to open.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it says the application itunes cannot be opened
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Press Command, Option and Esc keys at same time and this will bring Force Quit. If you see iTunes there, then select it and click Force Quit. Then open iTunes again. If that didn't work, then just restart your Mac and open iTunes again.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
command option and esc did nothing. if i turn off mac how do I get back to you
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me after the restart via that bookmark. I will also post a reply after 3 minutes, so you get back to me via the email

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
comman option esc gave me force quit and in there it says itunes is not responding. It says to select name and push force quit. should i do this
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
r u there
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hello r u there
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Yes, select iTunes and click Force Quit. Then open iTunes again. Does it open ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Now connect your iPad to your computer and does it ask you to restore it ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ask to restore or update which one
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

First go ahead and update. If you are lucky, this will allow you to restore the iPad without losing anything.

Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Remember, it will take a while to download the iOS software or firmware file. You will see the progress on iTunes (at top middle) or you will see a Downloading button at top right of iTunes. Click it to see time remaining. Let me know how much time is left to restore.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
12 minutes
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

You are on right track. Let it complete. Don't turn off your Mac and don't disconnect the iPad.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
233.2 mb of 1.84 GB
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

The firmware file is a big one plus it install the latest version.

Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

How is it going ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I think it is done. What now
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

What does your ipad shows now ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
blank screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Didn't your iPad restore from iTunes ? If not, disconnect the iPad and reconnect it to your computer. Does it ask you to restore it ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Itunes asked to restore computer so I clicked on that
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it said it would restore and update
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Yes, Do it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It says ipad recovery mode and that itunes is restoring the software on this ipad. Once this is done do I need to go to icloud and restore again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

Let it complete the restore. After it has finished, follow the onscreen instructions on the iPad. Select Restore from iCloud to restore your files from iCloud (if any backup available)

Expert:  Ashik replied 12 months ago.

How is it going ?