Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

, im attempting to get a macbook pro to boot with no

Customer Question

Customer: hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im attempting to get a macbook pro to boot with no luck option 1 nvram i press an hold the key combo and the unit reboots over and over attempting #2 safe mode and the apple screen just came up after a few minutes of holding shit nothing appears to be progressing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes I will continue to try options until then
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What year is that MacBook Pro?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That I am not sure of. It's a friends unit that I am trying to help her with.What I know...
She was working fine a few days ago and now it takes longer than usual to prompt to login. Once pw is typed the unit goes to a grey screen with the apple logo but does not go any farther
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when trying to boot safe, a folder with a question make comes up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
decided to try disk util again. The first time i ran it, I did not see the Mac HD only the Mac OS X base system. Now I see the Mac HD. Total size show 500g with only 35 mb of space remaining. I am running a verify on it at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was after disabling NVRAM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alert "Disk object invalid or unable to serialize
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If if you want help please don't just rush ahead on your own wait until I can assess the situation please. If Verify Disk is OK then Repair Permissions if that is available. You can't disable NVRAM but you can do this, pick the one that fits your Mac then:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys. Note: The LED on the power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Resetting the SMC and PRAM memory on Mac portables with a battery you can remove
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the battery and power adapter.
7. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 9.
8. Turn on the computer.
9. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at l

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK we cross posted:

pick the one that fits your Mac then:

1. Shut down the computer.

1. Shut down the computer.
3. Remove the battery.
5. Release the power button.
8. Turn on the computer.
10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
11. Release the keys.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Does your friend have a backup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok after you do one of those procedures what happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result, but the machine brought up the login screen faster.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Does it have a CD/DVD drive? I am trying to figure out what model it is?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

So you can get to the login screen? Ok hold the power button for 10 seconds then start it up and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. It may take time so wait at least 10 minutes then let me know if you can't get to the login screen. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black keyboard. small power button upper right tubeular power 2 usb, 1 network, and 2 ports i am not sure what they are "apple" ones I think
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK do you have any idea what system version it was running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power button plus shift brings up a folder with question mark
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK either the hard drive has failed or we need to try and reformat it which will erase it of course. Will that be ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably not since I am not sure if she has a backup and accourding to disk util the drive is almost full
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would a reinstall work? I mean I don't have the software to reinstall the OS, but just trying to come up with ideas so she will not lose her data
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

You reinstall from the Recovery HD and you don't need any disk.. but the drive has failed or is corrupt you can't even Verify it reinstalling will either not work at all or it will make things worse. You can try Target Disk mode to try and save what you can using another Mac, then try to erase the drive and reinstall: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's a possible option. I will need to find a cable and a machine with enough storage to try it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assuming that works, the only option moving forward is a format and new install?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

You can try a third party utility like Disk Warrior to try and repair the drive which can many times repair a drive that Disk Utility cannot. But if it has failed of course that won't work and the only way to know for sure if it has failed is to try and reformat it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, if the firewire doesn't work, is it pretty safe to assume that the hdd is bad?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

No that could also mean the drive's' directory is corrupt you can't tell from that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at this moment, I think we are finished. Once I find a cable and try it, how do i enter this discussion again to update, etc?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Just bookmark this page or go to the email you get

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thx
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!