Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My older imac is refusing to turn on, just the apple and

Customer Question

Customer: Hey there, my older imac is refusing to turn on, just the apple and spinning wheel I tracked down a keyboard that physically plugs in and am trying to ctr R but I am working on a keyboard that is for a pc
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: can't get it to get passed the spinning wheel
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, definitely willing to wait. I tried some of your techniques (tried Alt) at start up and saw the arrow and the HD photo clicked on that and then it went back to spinning
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.