Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Updated to Mac 10.7.5 and needing to know best way to create

Customer Question

Updated to Mac 10.7.5 and needing to know best way to create PDF file for CreateSpace publishing platform. Can select print and PDF but see no Options or Settings to make sure fonts are embedded, images flattened, etc (CreateSpace prefers PDF/X and advises
Adobe Acrobat 7 (Pro DC?) "preflight profile" helps to detect possible problems) Not sure of best and most inexpensive way of producing a PDF from Word doc other than trying the basic Print function and save PDF. Would like to use the "preflight profile" if
possible. What options do I have with maxed out software at 10.7.5? Also, since upgrading software, still using Safari but when seaching web, on occasions I lose the page I was just on - need to go to History to get it back. Solution?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I knew that I needed Acrobat Pro to perform the preflight profile. I was wanting to know if I could get this with my system.
Specifically, my question was "What options do I have with maxed out software at 10.7.5?"
If you're not going to list some options other than stating what I did with the basic Mac Print/PDF option, then forget that question and answer the other one, which I wrote . . . " since upgrading software, still using Safari but when seaching web, on occasions I lose the page I was just on - need to go to History to get it back. Solution?"
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

That is the only option as far as creating customized PDFs from the print menu. There is no other "maxed out" option. Acrobat Pro adds a new item to the print dialog that was not there before. As far as Safari do you mean you go back using the back arrow and the page you were on is is not there?

Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

That is the only option as far as creating customized PDFs from the print menu. There is no other "maxed out" option. Acorbat Pro adds a new item to the prtint dialog that was not there before. As far as Safari do you mean you go back using the back arrow and the page you were on is is not there? If you search it will leave the page you are on unless you make a new page or a new tab.. and then search...

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
a search will leave the page I'm on without the option of using the back arrow to return to where I was at. I can, of course, create a new page every time I want to do a new search. When I had the earlier version, Snow Leopard, there was always a back arrow. This version sometimes does not enable to go back. It's not highlighted and doesn't respond.
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Are you able to update to El Capitan? Did you check for Updates because Safari is at 9.0.2? Are you searching using the Search bar built in?

Go here and download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, open it and select Scan:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm maxed out on updates. I have an early 2006 plastic iMac, and the 10.7.5 is as far as I can go. I'm using the Safari search bar.
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

OK check with Malware bytes first

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Here's what I got after downloading:
You can't use this version of the application Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.app with this version of Mac OS X. You have Mac OS X 10.7.5. The application requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

OK quit Safari, open Terminal copy and paste this line then hit Return:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean about opening "Terminal" … to do the paste
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

The Terminal is a command line tool in Applications / Utilities

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Last login: Thu Dec 10 19:39:56 on ttys000
scott-brandenburgs-computer:~ scottbrandenburg$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist
rm: /Users/scottbrandenburg/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist: No such file or directory
scott-brandenburgs-computer:~ scottbrandenburg$The above is what I got with the copy/paste/return. I'm searching now for sites online with same problem. One says try customizing toolbar, but still reading ...
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Mike, perhaps I'll try this tomorrow with you, but not good time now. I'll see what I can find online tomorrow too.
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

OK, there are many things I want to look at if I can connect