tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Mac Genius
Experience:  Computer specialist.
62741268

Johnny! i got some 1439 error issues on my classic ipod...i

Customer Question

hey johnny! i got some 1439 error issues on my classic ipod...i googled the whole internet...nothing helped :(
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 1 year ago.

Check your iPod with Diagnostics Mode

It is possible that your iPod's hard drive has started to fail. Take your iPod and place your right thumb on the centreSELECT button and your left on the top MENU button. Press down both thumbs for about 6 seconds until your iPod reboots. Immediately move your left thumb around to the rewind button |<< on the left and hold this down together withSELECT for a further 6 seconds. Your iPod should now switch into Diagnostic Boot mode. Press MENU for Manual Test, then select IO > HardDrive > HDSMARTData to reveal your stats.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! I get the following stats:
Retracts: 16
Reallocs: 356
Pending Sectors:16
PoeerOn Hours: 253
Start/Stops: 384
Temp Current 21c
Temp: Min 16c
Temp: Max 49c

press MENU+SELECT for 6 seconds to reset the iPod again.

Hold MENU+SELECT on the iPod for about 6 seconds until it resets, then switch to PLAY+SELECT as soon as the Apple logo appears, again for about 6 seconds to put the machine in disk mode. Open iTunes and in the Devices tab of the preferences menu check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically. Now connect your iPod to the computer, wait until it connects, then close iTunes.

Windows: Browse My Computer and right-click on the drive for the iPod, click Properties, then click Tools. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. Under Check disk options, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors (Optional - takes ages but a good idea if you've reason to suspect physical damage). Click Start.

If the device still won't restore normally try this method. Connect the device to the USB cable, press MENU+SELECT like a standard reset but keep holding for 12 seconds. The device should reboot as normal and then the screen should go blank. Now open iTunes and try to restore again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I allowed to skip the device check, since im 99% sure its not a hardware related problem. It was working yesterday and was just used on a new computer now today.
I did as suggested but the "ipod restoring" bar stops after like 5%...you can see it in the picture attached! It seems to load forever...as soon as i cut the usb connection, i get error 1439.
  1. Folow these steps please. Log in to the computer with an administrator account.
  2. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  3. Windows: Press Control and B on your keyboard to turn on the iTunes menu bar. From the menu bar, choose Account > Authorize This Computer. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
  4. Enter your iTunes account name and password.
  5. Authorize your computer. If you have multiple accounts, log in to the iTunes Store and authorize each account separately.
  6. Quit iTunes. The try the iPod again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it lasted like 8h, then iTunes finished the restoring process and told me "ipod was succesfully restored".
But immediatly i got the alert "ipod is corrupted and needs to be restored" again. I tried to leave disk mode, but all i get is the "connect to itunes to restore" sign. I could do for another 8 hours, but it seems just damaged...

yes, it does sound like the hardware has failed.