Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an iMac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.1 iPhoto is one

Customer Question

I have an iMac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.1 iPhoto is one of my applications. I have many, old, large negatives (like 2" x 3" and larger) that I would like to scan and convert to positive images & print, etc. Is there any way to do this in iPhoto. If not is there any software or application that I could purchase that would help me do this? P.S. My scanner/printer is a CANON MG5220.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The scanner application came with Canon should have this feature.

Or you can use Image Capture application to scan the images to your Mac and then you can import them to iPhoto.

Open Image Capture application from Applications folder. Select your scanner in left column. On the right, select the scan mode to positive or negative. Then scan. You will find the scanned images in Pictures folder. Import them to iPhoto.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K. I follow you up to: "On the right, select the scan mode ..." There is a "scan" button (that does just that - scanning negative as a negative) but no mode selection choice of "positive or negative."
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Select Negative. Then scan. Does this invert it ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a Show Details button at the bottom ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you don't see the menu on the right, then click Show Details button and you should see the mode/kind at top right. Don't you see it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see it. "Kind" Black & White just makes it scan as a black & white scan but it doesn't INVERT a negative to a positive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What other Kinds do you see there ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What other Kinds do you see there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Text," "Black & White" & "Color
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is more of an advanced third party scanning application out there that does have this feature. Try the trial of that application from here --> https://www.hamrick.com/

Are you able to scan negative using it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check the app suggestion "www.hamrick.com" right now. I hope it works, otherwise, I don't see any way around my problem with the tools I have in hand. Going to look at the app. Will get back to you if there are any other questions. Thanks for the suggestion.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There are so many different ways to accomplish this. We're just covering through the easy methods first. There are even third party free applications like GIMP you can use to achieve this.

iPhoto/Photos can't do this because it is not an advanced image editing application.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I found a Youtube video to do this with Vuescan. Just check it out --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pfQ61WTbug

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Another way is, scan the negatives to your Mac using Image Capture.

Then download the GIMP application from here --> https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Open GIMP. Click on Color menu > Auto White Balance. Then click on Color > Invert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're too fast for me and my computer skills. I just found and "invert" button under a "Color" tab but haven't figured it out yet. I welcome the YouTube reference. Will check that out. "Show me" is always better than "Tell me."
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that. I'm just giving the different methods, so you can take your time, try them and get back to me if you have any difficulty.

Not being fast, but just wanted to let you know that there are even many smartphone applications out there that can quickly convert the negative to color with the click of a button.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Re GIMP, you have to do the Auto White Balance first.

Open the negative image in GIMP. Then click on Color at the top bar, then click Auto and select Auto White Balance or White Balance. Then again click on Color menu and select Invert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You've given me a lot to work with. Thanks much. I'm going to have to work with your suggestions later. I have to go now. I hope I don't loose this dialogue. I very much appreciate you getting right back with me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You're most welcome ! Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later. This question will not be closed.

Good Night,