Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My in built on Macbook Air is not working.

Customer Question

My in built mike on Macbook Air is not working.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Do the whole bit including the SMC reset.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did all of that before I contacted you.
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Ok I assume you have gone to System Preferences/ Sound and checked the Input tab?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Version 10.7.5, Processor 1.6GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 2GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

When you go to System Preferences / Sound / input and you speak into the mic you do not see the bar moving?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No. But it does move when I type !!
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Go to System Preferences / Users / select your user account then on the right choose Login items what is listed there?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i tunes helper, powwow, dropbox,octoshape, zipcloud, adoberesourcesynchronizer
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Remove octoshape and restart

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How do i do that ? It's not in my apps folder ?
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Just select it and click on the minus sign also remove Powwow unless you are sure you know you need it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK, i've done that, restarted, mike still not working
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If all is ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X.

If it is still not working then I would say it is a hardware failure and it needs to be physically repaired.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is how your last message appears on my screen : "Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ +" . Don't understand !
Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

Just restart the computer and immediately hold the Command and the R keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If all is ok quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X.