Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

My laptop is freaking out, and I have finals starting on

Customer Question

hi! My laptop is freaking out, and I have finals starting on Monday. Can I come in to the apple store at 199 Boylston to try to figure out what's wrong with my laptop / buy a new one if it can't be fixed?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

We may be able to fix it here.

What is the issue you have with the Laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the same problem I had earlier this year...the mouse does not work and moves on its own accord. An external mouse does not work because the cursor moves on its own. Also it is incredibly slow and sometimes shuts down! I have a law school exam on Monday and CANNOT risk it doing this then.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can we do the following please.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no first aid tab
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait i found it
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, its at the top

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i restart after the repair
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes please, when it has completed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait so i think it worked but I'm scared it will happen during my exam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what caused the issue and will it happen again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Data corruption on the hard drive, I see it a lot, so we repaired everything, I would advise, just before you go into your exam, to do the procedure we just did, it should be alright but this would make sure. Just do it an hour before.

I marked this question to never close so if you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the problem started when i spilled a scootch of coffee on the trackpad but now its working...is it because of the liquid i wiped it all off!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Whats a Scootch, a few drops?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a few not much and i wiped it up right away...is that was corrupted the data.. does that mean further problems
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes it can, and this we repaired now via the procedure we just ran.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the future problems
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

There should be none, we have fixed the corruption which stopped the problem as you saw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but can be further complications from the few drops
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If there were it would be still an issue now as it would be a hardware problem and what we did would not fix that.

The pad is very resistant so I really do not see the drops causing any hardware issues, but if it did you would be having the issues now as we speak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay richard you are amazing and my savior!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your most welcome and good luck with the Exam!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you