Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Help! I have forgotten my administrator password! I cant

Customer Question

Help! I have forgotten my administrator password! I cant download any OSX (El Capitain) update to sync a new Iphone w/my MAC
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the current version number there.

Let me know and I will send you instructions in here, so you can follow them to solve the problem.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are using 10.7 later version of OS X, then you can reset the admin password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below;

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. Select the hard disk, select the user account from the drop down list, confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal.

After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain. Then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder (or search Keychain in Spotlight - searchbox/magnifier icon at top right of screen)

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using the OSX 10.6.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is a different way to reset password ***** 10.6

I will send you the instructions now.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the Mac OS X 10.6 installation discs ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, do not have the installation discs
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can create a brand new administrator account, then reset the password ***** your current account from that account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac

• Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

If you get any message about keychain, then follow the steps below to solve it.

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

Quit Keychain Access.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Make sure you enter the commands correctly. Here they are in detail

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>
rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>
shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

When you enter last command, your Mac will turn off. Turn it on and this will bring the setup screen where you will be able to create a new account.

This is to create a brand new administrator account. With this admin account, you can reset the password ***** old account from System Preferences > Accounts.

Let me know if you have any difficulty, so I will walk you through here so you can take your time and do it at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't work; i get the prompt to change pw, but I must enter my old pw ...I don't know my old password ***** change-reset
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Make sure you enter the commands correctly. Boot into Single User Mode (Command and S at startup) and write the commands correctly. Here they are in detail

This is to create a brand new administrator account. With this admin account, you can reset the password ***** old account from System Preferences > Accounts. Make sure you login to new account to reset the password ***** old account.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

See this Youtube video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxAgiNqkDM

There are two methods in the video. Use the second method. You can also do the first method in the video.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to shut down/restart, but after downloading and installing the new OS x El Capitan, I've lost everything on my MAC.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pictures, music, downloaded apps, address book, everything is GONE
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You will not lose anything with the above suggestion. Because the new account is supposed to be blank.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups and do you see your old account ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Did you reinstall from new account ? If so, click on Apple icon and select Logout your account name. From the resulting screen, select your old account and login to it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mary, this is Ashik again. I'm just checking. How is it going ? Were you able to login back to your original account ?