Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

IMac. Dusted keys while on. Have frozen screen showing bits

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. iMac. Dusted keys while on. Have frozen screen showing bits of things and icons in left margin. Wont turn of. Escape does not do aything
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Screen is just frozen, two clocks with no hands on part like a bit of mission control. Part of Zip cloud window
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Left half of screen shows icons and has two clock faces showing with no hands. Bit like mission control. Right half of screen has some windows for zip cloud which we don't use anyway. If we leave it normal screen saver comes on that right hand side only. Cannot function anything. The above is all on my wife computer next to mine that I am using to contact you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already resolved it by holding Command, Control and pressing the power button and it just popped back on. I tried Command and R before I contacted you but had no results. The apple menu would not come up anyway. Sorry Mike but I beat you to it. Thanks Neil
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I didn't know it was a competition? LOL I would have got to the SMC reset.... I wanted to check the drive first but you never came back so it is kind of hard to help you in that case.. Great..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was more than an hour before you returned my email so during that time I tried the live call button and got "Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed."
So that did not work, response a bit confusing therefore I then booked a genius session tomorrow in Tampa as I had to get it quickly sorted having a lot else on. I then tried more on line solutions one of which I mentioned above worked before I got to read your email. So I cannot really rate your reply as I happened to resolve it myself and I did happen to go that route without success. Not being difficult just explaining the situation and appreciate your best intention.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

No problem I don't work 24 hours a day I took the question when I saw it. I certainly don't expect you to rate me at all. Glad you got it fixed...