Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an older iMac (Mac OS X Version 10.6.8) desktop

Customer Question

I have an older iMac (Mac OS X Version 10.6.8) desktop computer that is suffering from little left hard drive space. I currently have ELements 12 installed and have purchased 14. Do I need to delete the 12 and install the level 14? If so, can you advise as to how to do this. Or if I install it over the current edition 12, will it upgrade and not use up so much hard drive space?? I am very tech challenged. Uh Duh. Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If your Mac is low on startup space, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND to free space by deleting unwanted applications, movies, musics etc and empty the trash. If you don't do this, then your Mac will crash soon. I've seen this happened before. Macs need at least 10GB of free space to work properly.

You don't need to delete Element 12. Go ahead and install 14 and it will upgrade. If you have purchased it as an upgrade, then you need the version 12 to be there to install version 14. Elements don't take much space though even if the version 12 is there.

You can use this application OmniDiskSweeper to find what files are using up all the space and delete them if they are not needed --> https://www.omnigroup.com/more

(Do not delete your iPhoto Library or iTunes Library or any important files)

Make sure to empty trash to free space. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.