Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I've recently moved to a Time Warner neighborhood. The TW

Customer Question

I've recently moved to a Time Warner neighborhood. The TW Router/WiFi unit broadcasts two channels (regular and 5Ghz). My MacBook Pro 15" retina connects fine, and the speed is good - but every few minutes the WiFi signal stalls, and my browser freezes. Switching to the other WiFi channel gets the data moving again... for a while... and then it freezes again. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I don't want to throw a book of semi random troubleshooting steps at you. So if we could Id like to try a few tests to try and narrow the issue down.

You mentioned your connected via WiFi. Your router should have a few spare LAN or Ethernet ports. Can we try connecting the macbook via Ethernet cable. And then use it for 10-15 minutes to see if it still freezes. if it does freeze, we know its not a WiFi only issue and can proceed down that troubleshooting path.

If it doesn't freeze, then we know its a wireless only issue.

If you don't have a spare Ethernet cord and cant connect the macbook directly to Ethernet, let me know.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Dustin - Thanks for the quick reply. I tried an ethernet cable, and it looks like the connection remains strong and consistent on a hard-wired connection. (I say "looks like" because the original problem is intermittent, so I can't say for sure that I tested the ethernet beyond all doubt -- but it was solid in my informal testing.)
What next?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

You had mentioned before that every few minutes it would freeze on wifi.

if it stayed solid for 30 minutes or more on ethernet, I think we can eliminate the browser as the issue.

This is either the wireless router, or its the wireless card on the mac.. I hate to do it to you but we need to isolate a bit further.

Easiest way to do that, would be to go into the router. Remove the wireless password. ( only temporarily, just for the test)

Once the password ***** ***** your mac should be able to connect to the open network without any password. ( So will anyone elses phone or computer within range, so lets only test this for about half an hour)

The big question is, with the wireless password ***** off, does your computer still stop and freeze every few minutes.

Let me know when you have had time to test this out, or if you have any questions about the process.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I'll try this when u get home tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When *I* get home tonight. You can get home whenever u like.
:-P
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. And I will be working late tonight. *East coast time*

So dont hesitate to get back to me tonight after we know more.

D.S