Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

We attempted to download the iPod update today. After six

Customer Question

We attempted to download the iPod update today. After six hours the download had not completed so we unplugged the iPod and shut down the mac. When we restarted the mac, all out iPhotos had disappeared. They are not in trash. Can you help us retrieve them?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is possible that iPhoto Library got corrupted. Go to Pictures folder and do you see your iPhoto Library there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is completely empty and it show a "date modified" of today at 4:52pm which was during the time we were waiting for the download to be complete.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is very strange. Search iPhoto in Spotlight and does it return anything ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is Spotlight?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Searchbox at the top right corner of your screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no idea what you're talking about.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a magnifier icon at the top right of your screen ?

Or press Command and Space and do you anything ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the magnifier. Typed in iPhoto. It shows the same info as is in Finder.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Search jpg or jpeg and what does it show ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows a few jpg's in other applications but none of the photos that were in iPhoto
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a Time Machine backup running ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open iPhoto. Select Choose Library and do you see any libraries there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't think so. And we have never backed up to the cloud because we don't trust it. Silly us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what Time Machine is.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Time Machine is backup application. Go to System Preferences > Time Machine and it is ON or OFF ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I says "on"
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Select Backup Disk and do you see any disk there ? Do you have any external drives plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no external drives plugged in. Where do I look for a backup disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it. It says "Other Time Capsule".
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Enter the time machine and go to a backup point prior to this issue. Then open Pictures folder and do you see the iPhoto Library there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to be so ignorant. How do I enter the time machine and how do I go to a prior backup point?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Since Time Machine is ON and since it is showing Time Capsule (which I presume you are using Apple router) there is a hope to retrieve the library. Enter the time machine and go to a backup point prior to this issue (you can select the date on the right). Then open Pictures folder (in Time Machine) and do you see the iPhoto Library there ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

May I remotely connect to your Mac and do this for you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we go about that?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Follow the steps below to start remote support session.

You have to do this from your computer itself. On your Mac, open Safari. Then goto this website ---> www.fastsupport.com/423889202

Follow the onscreen instructions to connect. An application will be downloaded. So click on Download button in Safari (the downward arrow button on the top right). Another way to open Downloads is from Window menu or from View menu in the top within Safari. Then open the Citrix Online Launcher file you see there and then open the Citrix Online Launcher application and let it connect. If asked for permission, allow it.

Let me know if you have any difficulty connecting to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. After 8 hours, it has scanned only 30M of 156M. I think it must have stopped when the computer went into sleep mode overnight.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. Not sure if it went to sleep. Let it complete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and turn off Sleep or set to Never

You can change it back later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. Up to 42M so I'm going to go do a few chores for a while.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok. After it is completed, check Pictures or JPG on left .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says I have to pay $99 to use the Stellar software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell if there's anything to recover.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, Sorry for the delay. Click on Pictures or JPEG in the left and do you see anything ?

Recovery application is a costly one and only buy it if it can recover the pictures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There appear to be lots of jpegs but how can determine if they are my iPhoto library?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on a couple and they are my iPhoto library. Do I just click on "recover" and then pay for the service?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hard to know. You have to open one by one to check. It might not be possible to get it as one. Recover one or two and if they are your library, then you can buy the program. I can't guarantee the program will recover all photos, but it may recover some.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hard to know. You have to open one by one to check. It might not be possible to recover the iPhoto library itself but can be recovered as individual photos. Recover one or two and if they are your library, then you can buy the program. I can't guarantee the program will recover all photos, but it may recover some.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is Stellar a reputable company?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Open some more random JPG and if they are your pictures then you can buy. I know it is a costly app, that is why I want you to make sure they are all your pictures before you buy them.

It shows all the pictures you deleted from your Mac not just the photos of iPhoto library

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are a bunch of our pictures and some that appear to be stock stuff that came with the computer. I'm going to go ahead and purchase the software.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Wait. Let me check for some other

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm OK with the price. If there is a better quality product, I'd be interested.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok then use it. All recovery applications use same kind of algorithm and I couldn't find any free apps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said it will be delivered within an hour. Think I'll go do more pre-Thanksgiving chores while I wait. Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok, they will send you the serial number to your email. Use it to activate the Stellar application. Check email