Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My 2013 Imac is doing fine, except Iphoto has just crashing

Customer Question

Hi:
My 2013 Imac is doing fine, except Iphoto has just crashing and I cannot access photos...
I back up to Time Machine, so feel comfortable that the images are saved...
Could this be that I have over 60,000 photos in the library..?
Any help is helpful!
Sandy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sandy and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, it is not because you have over 60k photos. In fact your iPhoto can hold more than that without any issues. This usually happens if there is any issue with the iPhoto Library, like corruption of library or other glitches. We can rebuild your iPhoto library.

Close iPhoto if it is open. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes Click Rebuild. This may take a while to complete.

After rebuilding, iPhoto will open.

If it is still crashing after rebuilding, then we have to rebuild the iPhoto library using a third party application named iPhoto Library Manager. Download and install it from here (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Open iPhoto Library Manager. Select your iPhoto Library, click on Library menu in the top and select Rebuild Library. This will verify the library. Then click the Rebuild button on the right.

After rebuilding, open iPhoto. Does it crash now ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now it is examining photo library…but nothing is progressing on the "bar"
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It would take a while to complete the process and you have a large library. It may even take an hour or so to rebuild.

Once it is finished, I also want you to run Disk Utility. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will you be around in an hour so we can connect when it's finished rebuilding?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I will be here. In fact, this question will never be closed. So add a bookmark of this or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me anytime you want or any day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about halfway through examining library..
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like it is going to take more than an hour.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You can leave it there and do other things. Your Mac will automatically rebuild it and load iPhoto when it is finished. If this rebuild doesn't work, then rebuild with iPhoto Library Manager app. Rebuilding with iPhoto Library Manager will take more time than current rebuild method. Make sure there is enough free space available on your Mac.

Add a bookmark of this or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to go to iPhoto Library Manager..it is loading the library now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
22 November 2015 02:23
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a rebuild option in the iphoto library manager
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it..do I rebuild and save to pictures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If your Mac has enough storage space available, then you can save it to Pictures. Or you can save it to external drive.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

This rebuild function is different from the one you did before. What iPhoto Library Manager does is, it will create a brand new library with old photos and this will also clear all corruption on the library. So make sure your Mac has enough storage space available otherwise the process will be interrupted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It tries to reopen Iphoto and it can't because it crashes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's omporting now...that's a good sign
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
importing I meant to say
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It will open and close many times while importing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we might be onto something here..it seems to be progressing along!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Fingers crossed !

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sandy, can we continue this later ? It is very late in here, almost 3:12 AM and have to sign off now. Not sure how much time it will take it to finish the process.

Now you can let iPhoto Library Manager to complete the job. Hopefully it will work.

If that didn't fix iPhoto, please post a reply here and I will get back to you ASAP and we can continue troubleshooting.

Make sure you add a bookmark of this page. This question will not be closed and you can get back to me anytime you want without any additional payment.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, It's me Ashik again. I'm just checking. How is it going ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still importing..thank you for asking!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is supposed to be finished by now. How much space is left on your HD ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears to be stuck..tryingto import, but keeps going back to the same images over and over..
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What about the progressbar in Library manager ? Is it filled in ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 717 GBs left
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's about half way filled in...the bar is gray
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That will do. Do you see the progressbar in iPhoto Library Manager ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Gray ? Click on the bar and does it turn blue ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then goes back to gray right away
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Give it some more time. If it still not moving, then we restore a backup library from Time Machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did that yesterday before I contacted you this morning..I am guessing this will take another day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's taking about 5 seconds per image
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but you can leave it while restoring. Make sure to restore the library from 2 or 3 days before the problem has occurred.

Your photos are still safe though. If nothing is working, then we can manually restore all your photos from the library.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Let iPhoto Library Manager complete. It has to rebuild that entire library which is supposed to take several hours. If it is stuck at spinning wheel, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spinning wheel is not stock..I did restore the library from last Wednesday, before the problem started.. so i will be patient!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

They you may need to try another backup point. After restoring, you have to switch to that library. Did you do that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I did..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's says it has imported 36,000 photos so far..
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Let it complete then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Halfway there..crossing fingers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Good luck !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All done..thank you..I only lost a days worth of photos....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear that and You're most welcome !

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iphoto is loaded with all of the images but it keeps crashing and will not import photos from iPad or iPhone now..ugh!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Preferences folder and trash com.Apple.iPhoto.plist file. Then rebuild iPhoto (not with the iPhoto Library Manager)

Also repair permission and repair disk with Disk utility.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you have any large videos on iPhoto, then move them to desktop and delete them from iPhoto and test. Does it work then ?