John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I did save my changes to my document and i lost so much

Customer Question

i did save my changes to my document and i lost so much work. I work on mac and my time machine is off. can i do anything
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

can you tell me what application you were using to create your document?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
word
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

Follow the below instructions and see if you can locate a temporary cache of the document;

1) First, if you've restarted since losing the work, look in your trash for a "Recovered items" folder. if not...

2) Microsoft Office has an Autorecovery function that saves some files when, for example, there's a power loss. These files are located in the home folder, in the Library

Press and hold the OPTION key on your keyboard while clicking "Go" in the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen

Select Library. If you don't see Library, choose “Home” from the menu and then open the Library folder directly.

In Library, open a folder called Application Support.

Open Microsoft.

Open Office.

In that folder are a number of folders, one of which may be Office AutoRecovery if files are available. Click that, and any files saved by the autorecovery function will be displayed.

3) If the above doesn't work, next, Go to the Finder

select Go in the menu bar and click "Go to Folder..."

type /private/var/folders

and click the Go button.

Look for files or folders named "Word Work File" inside a "Temporary items" folder.

You should option-drag files or folders to the Desktop (or anywhere else) before dropping them on Word's icon. Don't delete anything!

If your file is still cached on the drive somewhere then that is the most likely place, however the cache files do not exist for long.

Recovery of unsaved files is slim so if the above does not turn up a copy of your file, then please don't shoot the messenger. :-)

Thanks and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no way to go back in the history of document once you closed it out. I just didn't save the changes that I made accidentally closed it without saving so I lost all my work. I tried both ways and neither worked.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Sadly, AutoSave or via the cache is the only real hope for retrieving historic data in cases like this when it hasn't even been officially saved. :-(

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how to get to go when in word
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

You mean the Go menu? As mentioned, you must be in the Finder. Just click somewhere in a blank area of your desktop and you should then see the Go option in the Finder menu at the top of the screen.