Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I'm having the same problem as this - I am using a MacBook

Customer Question

I'm having the same problem as this - http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/5ev70-mac-won-t-stay-connected-internet-consistently.html#re.v/326/
I am using a MacBook Air, El Capitan. I restarted my router the other day. I've restarted my computer several times.
The internet itself doesn't seem to be the problem because my son's computers and XBox have no trouble staying connected.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are several reasons for this problem, may be even hardware related like a WiFi chip issue of Macbook Air. We can do some troubleshooting steps and see how it goes.

First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. This will reset the PRAM.

Then reset the network configuration files. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Go To Folder. Then enter the following command and press return

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

This will open SystemConfiguration folder. Then trash the following files

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

Restart your Mac. Check if it is dropping conection now. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.