Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When I power up my MacBook pro, I would see the apple logo

Customer Question

hi mike, when I power up my MacBook pro, I would see the apple logo for about two seconds, it doesn't seem to boot up and it then goes to the screen where I would put in my password, however it won't allow me access after putting in my password ***** it would allow me to sign in as a guest, how can I correct this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is possible that the user account got corrupted. That is why it is not logging in to it. We can create a new user account, then recover the files of old user account through root account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac

• Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Let me know once you did that, so I will send you instructions to enable root and recover the files from other account.