Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.
13568747

While it plays most of the files in my iTunes Library that

Customer Question

While it plays most of the files in my iTunes Library that are older, My Sonos app does not play several of the new music files I downloaded to my iTunes Library
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If several of the new music files you downloaded to the iTunes library, are of a file type or encoding type that your Sonos app does not support playback of, then that would explain the problem.

But, what are some of the file types that your Sonos app is refusing to play? specifically, so that I may check on whether the Sonos app really doesn't play back those file types, or other problems that might be present in this situation.

Also, I advise you to make sure that the new music files you downloaded to the iTunes Library, were really downloaded to a local drive or source... they might not be accessible over the network for the Sonos app to play, under some circumstances, if they were not on a local drive on your computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
Just had time to get back to you with the information you requested about file types.
Some are purchased AAC audio files that I purchased through iTunes. When I check the file info they are .m4a files.
The others are AAC audio files that I have ripped from CDs I own. They too are .m4a files.
These files are no different than other files I purchased from iTunes or ripped from CDs over the past few years. Sonos has no problem seeing or playing the the older .m4a files. Just can't figure out why the new files are not playable on Sonos.As for where the new music files are downloaded, again when I click on the new music file in iTunes and then click on Get Info and then select the File tab, the path shows: /iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/ which is the same path that the older files show. So as far as I can tell, the new files are stored in the same location. Checking inside the Sonos software under the Manage tab and then Music Library Settings, the software is pointing to the same location as above.
What am I missing here that would help me be able to play my new music?
Hate that my music library that can play through Sonos is apparently frozen in time and I am unable to play any of the new stuff.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What version of Sonos are you using?

I would advise getting the latest version of the Sonos app, if possible.

Sometimes, Sonos will not play m4a files that are 'Protected'; also these files will be playable in iTunes but not by Sonos.

Also make sure that there isn't an older version of the files in question, in the Trash folder or similar place - that can somehow incline Sonos to not play the files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell
I was using Sonos version 5.5 and updated to the latest version 6.0 just a few minutes ago. Following the update, I went into Sonos' "Manage" tab and clicked on "Update Music Library Now". Still my recent purchased downloads and music files recently ripped from my CDs are not showing up in Sonos. One question, though is why the m4a files that I recently ripped from CDs could be protected when no other files I have ripped previously from CDs are protected. BTW, how can I tell if the file is protected or not?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Good questions! frankly, at this point I'm not sure why they don't show up in the Sonos Music Library. Maybe there's a Sync operation you need to do? or is that the Update Music Library operation you just did?

What device is Sonos (now version 6.0) running on ?

The m4a files recently taken from CDs could be protected files, or it could be some other reason that is causing the problem. (As I said, I'm still not certain why.)

Did you buy the files from iTunes? if so, DRM Protection would keep them from being played on all but iOS devices. In iTunes you can find out whether DRM Protection is on the file or files.

If a file has a .m3p extension, it is protected.

In ubuntu or other Linux contexts, protected files generally have an .m4p extension rather than .m4a ... and evidently yours do not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, not sure where to go from here.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you buy the files from iTunes?

Do any of them have an extension with a 'p' in them?