Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I recently installed Verizon FIOS on my 2009 Apple Computer

Customer Question

I recently installed Verizon FIOS on my 2009 Apple Computer and have not been able to reinstall my 2 TB Apple Time Casule and get a green light. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi Don and Welcome. I'm Joel and I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Can you tell me how you currently have your Time Capsule setup and the FIOS router and also what computer your using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At this moment it's not hooked up. I have tried connecting both the Verizon FIOS router LAN and WLan ports to the LAN port on the time capsule. I get no green light on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule was working great before the FIOS installation. I foolishly waited a couple months before reconnecting the time Capsule. What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer is a 2009 Mac desktop.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Don. I think you have two options for setup. Since your FIOS router has wireless and also the Time Capsule, which one do you connect your computer and clients to?

Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

If you connect wireless to the Time Capsule, you should connect the FIOS routers LAN port to the Time Capsule WAN port. Then join your Macbook to the Time Capsules wireless network. See if that works. The second way is to use the FIOS routers wireless, so you join your Macbook to the FIOS wireless network, then you would attach the Time Capsule LAN port to the FIOS routers LAN port (so you'd be using the FIOS router as the central point then attaching the Time Capsule to that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will use Fios for wifi. Why can't I use either one?
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Since they are both in the same location its easier to select one to act as a wireless access point. So your connecting your computer and any other wireless computers to the FIOS wireless. I would attach your Time Capsule WAN port to the FIOS routers LAN port and then see if it shows up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Mac Desktop not a macbook. My problem is getting the Time capsule CONNECTED to the Fios router and my Mac desktop so that I can backup my computer. It's secondary to me whether or not the time capsule is functioning as a wifi connection
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

OK, so your desktop is directly connected to the FIOS routers with an ethernet cable. In that case, still attach the Time Capsule WAN port to the FIOS router LAN port

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connecting to the LAN port on the Fios router and the WLAN port on the Time Capsule gets me wifi on both systems but still no green light. Why is it working as a wifi source but with NO green light. Will it perform backup services in the future.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

What color is the light currently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blinking amber
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Are you able to follow the steps from page 16 here successfully?