Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Have an iMac running 10.6.8. Received a message saying I

Customer Question

Have an iMac running 10.6.8. Received a message saying I needed to up date my iPhoto or I could not view pictures. I agreed & lost ALL my photos. There is only a new blank iPhoto page. Holding option & click on iPhoto does not bring them back. Where did they go & how can I recover them?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Go to Apple Logo to Software Update. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not recover photos. Unsuccessful
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Right we need to check some things:

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Disk Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried repairing the permissions, but I will try it once more. Stand by
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Verify Disk first. I can help you by remote if you Accept the offer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
verifying & repairing disc permissions is complete but photo's are still gone. What does it mean "by remote" and is that an additional charge?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK please read carefully VERIFY DISK not Verify Permissions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it. Will try. Stand by
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Remote in means I see your screen and can control your computer and yes it is extra

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the message:
This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I was afraid of that:

Put the Snow Leopard install disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Disk Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, This is worrisome. I feel like I need to take the unit into a mac store in person. I dont think my original OS was Snow Leopard. I might have up graded to it. I need to search for my start up discs. This is way too complicated for this emailing type of communication.
I'm sorry
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Well you have to have that disk or there is another way but a bit more complicated.. If it is beyond your capabilities let me know:

Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.
1. Shut down your Mac if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

You have successfully entered single-user mode when you see white text appear on the screen, that is called the command line.

At the command-line prompt type: /sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike I will try. But in your instructions after FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED, you have important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK
Does that mean re type in /sbin/fsck -fy? Because step 2 on your list is press power button
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Right repeat the fsck command sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I'm gonna try this. Stand by
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, this is way beyond me. I'm too chicken to proceed and it tells me the file name is invalid.
I got to the command line but couldn't properly input. I'm fairly good at this stuff, but this is beyond me. We have to stop. I need more detailed, hands on, help
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!