Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I'm having trouble with my mac

Customer Question

Hi, I'm having trouble with my mac
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My password ***** work. Everytime I enter it, it says it's incorrect, but I'm certain it isn't. I tried to restart my laptop and pressed command + R to try and fix it myself when I read an article, but it only shows a lock, I cant use the mouse, it doesnt show up. And keeps declining my password.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didnt work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what i get
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

That is a firmware password *****

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

Add or remove a stick of RAM. Obviously if you have one stick in, add one and if you have two in remove one.

Power on the Mac and immediately press and hold command-option-P-R.

The system will restart with the ‘bong noise’, allow it to do this 3 times. On the third ‘bong’ you can let go of the keys.

The machine will now boot with a cleared password ***** reset PRAM/NVRAM.

You can then shut down the machine and reconfigure the RAM configuration as yo want it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I apologize, I might have mislead you to think that I would understand what you said, but I'm not as tech savy as I seem. Could you please explain with more details, so I would know what to do?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Sorry then you may not be able to do this. That is a firmware password ***** Explained here:

It means someone put a special password ***** lock the hardware, if you didn't do it it might be a stolen computer... there are ways to try and defeat it but it involves talking out the RAM (your computers working memory) and following that procedure is that beyond your capabilities?

I can walk you through it but it does involve taking the computer apart. You may be able to get someone to help you let me know... If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!