Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field
15852642

Suddenly the sound of my macbook air isn't working even when

Customer Question

Hi there, suddenly the sound of my macbook air isn't working even when I plug a headphone on. Thank you in advance.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.

May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please, let's do this now.
Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.
Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com
After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 70 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, it's downloading

Thank you. After it is downloaded, please open the file and run it.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mr. Jason, i've followed the steps and I'm waiting for you.

Hi. What is the status of the problem after you have followed the steps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no sound

Thank you for the update. I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I appreciate your help. Thank you.

You are very welcome. Thank you.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Please go to System Preferences and go to Sound, check whether the mute box is checked or not. If checked, uncheck it and check the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello mister Jins, a day ago or two I was listening normally but today when I turned my monitor on, the sound stopped working. My laptop is Macbook Air and a technician tried to solve this problem by "Remote help", reseting PRAM and NVRAM but nothing worked. I hope you help me with this issue for urgent school work. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound is not muted.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

When you play a media file is it showing any errors ? Did you try to boot into safe mode ? Is it working on safe mode ? If not tried please do the following:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
  5. Wait while safe mode boots up. It will take a lot longer than regular OS X.
  6. Log in (press shift-enter instead of enter after putting in your password ***** log in without login items.)
  7. You are in safe mode. Now check the audio. Restart the system and boot normally, check again.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there another indicator to know when to press these buttons, since I can't hear a beep or anything that has a sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer as fast as possible, I've been waiting for more than 24 hours for your help. I have school work to do with my laptop to please be considerate. Thank you.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I see you have been waiting for a reply and I was asked if I could look into your question so I will help. What version of OS X are you using? Can you give me the model number of your Macbook air?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mister Freddy. I got the serial number C02PH9NJG940 OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I can not find anything with the serial unfortunately, let's try a PRAM reset. Reboot the computer and immediately hold down the options-command-P-R keys all at once. Let me know what happens when you do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did this step yesterday with 2 days ago with a technician called ***** *****.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it didn't work.. Should I do it again?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes please do, at the moment it looks like you have a failing part which hopefully is not the case.