Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I lost my time machine (encrypted backup password), is there

Customer Question

Hi, I lost my time machine (encrypted backup password), is there a way to recover ? I saved the password ***** apple generic made, has also an ' (apostrophe) but it doesn't work.
Is there any other way?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The password ***** ***** . I tried 12128 times and the authentication error persists.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Did you check Keychain Access app for the password ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did it. I just checked again now... The thing is that I changed my computer, and I'm trying to restore my last time machine backup in this new one... So, I believe that its impossible to solve it... I believe the '(apostrophe) thing in the password ***** can be the issue. I tried to change the keyboard format numerous times, and the passcode did not work... I saw that in the Terminal, is a command that maybe can be easier to restore time machine from there.. I know that is a difficult issue, and also I made a HUGE mistake, deleting the old computer before checking the backup... Now I'm facing the possibility to lose all my companies files and data... a HUGE problem for me...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are sur the old password ***** ***** then give an attempt to change the password ***** something simple from Terminal. Terminal will allow you the pasting of old password. Or did you try this already ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't try. Can you send me the command?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Please note this will not work if the old password ***** *****

Go to Applications folder and open Terminal.

Type the following command and press return

diskutil cs list

This will give the drives list (both internal and external)

Now locate and copy the the UUID of the "Logical Volume" for the external encrypted volume (don't copy the Logical Volume Group's UUID)

Then to change, use the following command

diskutil cs passwd UUID -oldpassphrase youroldpasswordcomeshere -newpassphrase yournewpasswordcomeshere

Press return and the password ***** be changed if the old password ***** ***** You can paste the old password. Here is your old password ***** copy --> cob62'swingy

Please note this will not work if the old password ***** *****

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In the above command, change the UUID with the alphanumeric characters next to the Logical Volume of external drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you my screenshot... I think it didn't work....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I can't find the external drive the list. Is it plugged in ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its on the time capsule, I think its not listed..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is where the drive is...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When it asked for the password ***** you open it, did you try pasting the password ***** of typing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded a tool called Force Paste, because its impossible to paste by the keyboard in the password *****
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry. I'm of ideas on this one. I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here.

As far as I know, once you forgot the password, the files are already gone and the disk has to be erased. But I will open this question to other experts. If they have any idea, they will get back to you. I'm also look for solutions and let you know if I find any.

Please don't rate the answer anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I wait your next steps, thanks for now...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Felipe, I've searched many forums and threads but couldn't find any solution. Since it is a network based drive, it is hard to implement any commands via Terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try to copy the backup image thru another HD and connect by usb, than I'll try to access by terminal again...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure that will work. But try it.