Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Repairing disk from disk utility

Customer Question

repairing disk from disk utility
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Whats the message you get when it fails?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I used the command key + R key to open utilities... then after verifying the disk and trying to repair it. it starts checking volumes... between the details appeared on red "incorrect number of thread records" continuing checking volumes, then red again " the volume macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts "...." Fiel system exit code is 8"......"updating boot support partitions for the volume as required"......"error: disk utility cant repair this disk....e disk and restore your backed up files"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Your doing the command + R when starting the computer?

Like this?

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well seems it doesn't work. thank u anyway!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

still the same error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already performed the procedure u suggested this morning, and i did it again. nothing works. I only want to save some files on the comp, then i can format the disk if is not possible to fix it
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, is the computer starting at all? Or what happens when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me check...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bar is moving but slowly... until it get frozen...is frozen at the middle of the charging bar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, power it off

Then hold SHIFT and with this held power it on and tell me if it starts please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then, it shot down by it self after nothing happens
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

power it off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope i am doing well..... i turned it off... i disconnect the power supply cord and plug it again, i turned it on holding the shift key during the process.... it starts up but still get frozen at half of the starting bar...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then the hard disk is faulting, and its likely to be a failing hard drive (hardware issue)

Your going to have to take it in sorry and have them remove the hard drive and try to get the data off it.

Then the drive will need to be re-formatted and reinstalled.

But as I do not want to mislead you, there is a good chance the data has already been lost sorry.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is not a way to back up the data using the restore tab? instead of removing the hard drive?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No sorry as it cannot read the data, which we see via the repair.

It needs to be done by removing it and adding it as a slave drive into another computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank u for your help
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your welcome

Thank you