Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am not the admin user I have my dads old macbook and he

Customer Question

I am not the admin user I have my dads old macbook and he passed away he got his macbook from the university he was a professor at and I cannot even click on the admin user through the user section on system preferecnces where you can change passwords. so basically i cannot update or install anything. what should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using on that Mac ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We're going to boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account for yourself. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/Shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt (Single User Mode), type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shutdown. So turn it on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account.

If you want to change the password ***** old account, you can do that using the new admin account. On the new account, go to System Preferences > Accounts (or Users & Groups). Unlock the lock there. Then select the old account and click Reset Password. Then reset the password.

After that logout from Apple menu and login to old account. Now you may be asked for keychain thing. So click create new keychain and reset keychain database. Follow the steps below;

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will continue to help you.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are using 10.7 or later version of OS X, then you can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below;

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. Select the hard disk, select the user account, confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal.

After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Quit Keychain Access.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Oliver, I tried to accept the call offer. But it said your payment didn't clear. So I will help you here and I will walk you through the steps.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

To know the version of Mac OS X you are using on that Mac, click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You will see the version number there. Let me know the version and we can do this step by step.

Please type your reply in the box and hit Send to send it to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You can can reset it using the following method.

Turn off your Mac.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bat and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account, confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal.

After restart, if asked for Keychain select Create new keychain button.

Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One problem I am having is when i reboot then comp it makes me log into my user before typing in any commands but the second thing you suggested seemed to work better until I got to the part where you select a user and there were none to select
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are in Reset Password ***** then select Macintosh HD at the top and do you see the user account on the drop down menu under it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the reset password ***** that popped up after I typed in resetpassword ***** it says select the volume containing the user account in the first box and the second is select user accounts but it says no accounts available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the very top it says reset password ***** window next to it that is all
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is because you didn't select the correct volume. Click the one with hard disk icon (which would be Macintosh HD). After selecting Macintosh HD, you should see the User accounts under the select user account. Don't you see it now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I see is startup disk under the apple icon no mac hd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to go back to somewhere to perform this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is the hard disk. Select it. Now do you see the user account

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it says encrypted disk is that okay?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There might be a problem with resetting the password ***** an encrypted disk. It sounds like your dad had enabled File Vault on it (advanced security). But try to reset the password. What happens ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I assume you don't know his Master or File Vault password. Right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to type in my password ***** unencrypt it not it says mac 0s x 10.7.3 I selected it now what? It says I have selected it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I knew that I wouldn't be asking any of that ha I just need to be able to install shit and it wouldn't let me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what it looks like
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That Master password ***** asked is different from the admin password ***** use to install apps. If you don't know it, then you have to wipe out the hard disk completely and install a fresh OS X.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You are not in correct screen. Restart and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Does it open the Reset Password ***** ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you said and it asked me what language I wanted it didn't bring me anywhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After that I'm on the utilities page I was on before
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The reason you are having difficulty is that, I believe your dad has enabled File Vault (high level encryption) on the hard disk. When File Vault or encryption is enabled, no one will be able to modify the hard drive. That is why the Single User Mode (first method) didn't work.

We may need to completely wipe out the hard disk and install a fresh OS X. Is it OK with you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah sure f**k it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume all will be lost?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Either way just get to telling me how to do it
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is not that easy to erase an encrypted volume. Direct erasing with Disk Utility will not work. We have to erase it via Terminal.

If anything goes wrong, your system will not boot until you correctly erase it and install OS X. Also, you need an high speed internet connection to download the OS X from Apple.

Before erasing, backup all your important files to an external hard drive and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's do it
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok, will send you the instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As long as I can install updates and like not get prevented from watching Netflix I wanna do it Cuz without those things all the plug ins are old iTunes is old and nothing can be updated without the admin password ***** I don't have so I just need to be able to do all that shit if that will enable me to do that then let's proceed
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Erasing the HD and installing a fresh OS X makes you the owner and you will have full control over it. If anything goes wrong, this will the OS X non bootable and you will have to take it to the Apple Store to reinstall the OS X. This will not do any damages to the hardware components.

If you are in OS X Utilties screen now, then click on Utilities menu at the top bar and select Terminal.

Type the following and press return

diskutil cs list

It will show some list of drives. Copy the UUID of Logical Volume Family.

Then type the following and press return

diskutil cs delete UUIDoflogicalvolume family.

Letr me know once you did that.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is a correction.

Type the following and press return

diskutil cs list

It will show some list of drives. Copy the UUID of Logical Volume Group.

diskutil cs delete typeUUIDoflogicalvolume group here

Let me know once you did that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing when it said the mac was encrypted on the hard disk page and asked for a password ***** thought It would need the admin password ***** when I typed in my dad's password ***** went from saying encrypted to OS X 10.7.3 so maybe that is the password ***** were speaking of that wasn't the admin password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because if it was my dad who had a master password ***** not the company who seems to be the admin and has that password ***** that would have been his password ***** I know it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know if that will help or if we can try something easier but this seems like a pretty drastic thing to do so I thought if there are any outs we may as well try them
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I thought you didn't know the password. That was the Master password ***** was talking about. It is the password ***** use to decrypt the volume and unlock the hard disk.

If you didn't run the commands yet, then do this. In the OS X Utilities screen, click Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD on the left. Click on File menu and do you see Unlock or Decrypt ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Master password ***** ***** password ***** File Vault and it is different from Admin password.

You use Master password ***** unlock or decrypt the hard disk. Admin password ***** ***** to install apps, updates etc

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In the OS X Utilities screen, click Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD on the left. Click on File menu and do you see Unlock Macintosh HD ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did those things and I clicked unlock and the password ***** to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now since I clicked on the mac hd before it says first aid, erase or restore or verify disk permissions etc.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

After unlocking it, you have to turn off encryption. Turn off Encryption from the same File menu. After that we can reset the password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reset password *****?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You can now reset the password ***** Terminal. Close Disk Utility. Click on Utilities menu and top bar and select Terminal. Type resetpassword and press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Isn't it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this time macintosh hd showed up in the volume user account thing
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Select Macintosh HD and do you see the user account under the drop down menu now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I select system administrator and if so will this become my new name and password ***** the admin password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because it has my dad's usual log in and the admin login as choices but I assume we want to change the admin password ***** what should I do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It seems like you have two accounts. Reset the password ***** both.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Reset the password ***** both and you can get rid of one later. After resetting the password, you can even change the name to yours from System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay it said the Keychain password ***** reset when I reset mine but I assume that's the master password ***** I had to use to decrypt it which I know so that's fine now what? And also about the admin password ***** ***** name for that when they ask for the name and password ***** to be the name of the user account?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If your dad's login is an Admin account, then you don't need the other admin account. If your dad's account is not an admin account but a standard account, then login to that admin account and change the dad's account to admin from System Preferences > Users & Groups (after logging into the account). Or you can create a brand new admin account for yourself from System Preferences > Users & Groups (after logging into the account).

When you login to account after resetting the password, you will get a Keychain error. So click Create New Keychain button and then follow the steps below to fix keychain.

Quit Keychain Access.

Now just restart your Mac from Apple menu.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked restart and it brought me to a name and password ***** what should I log in as?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Admin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already logged in under my dad and I can't remember the login name of the admin and now it's asking me for the admin password ***** and I tried administrator for the name because I went to users and groups to try snd find the name so I could type it in and it's not there....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is your dad's account listed there as Admin ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I remembered it was root and I just made my dad the admin
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Great ! Did you reset keychain ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you want, you can create a new admin account from System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No It asked me about it but because I was going to try and log in as the admin I pressed escape I mean if it's the password ***** had to type in to unencrypt the comp I am comfortable with keeping it is that it or a different one? Also it says in order to make my dad the admin I have to restart it I assume that's cool?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

For your information, the root account is the most powerful and privileged account than admin that is capable of modifying even the system files.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's cool. If you don't reset keychain, you will get that annoying message frequently until you reset it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

How is it going ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hello Oliver, It's me Ashik. I'm just checking. Is everything working fine now ?

If we're done, please don't forget to rate my service positively as 4 or 5 stars, then only I will get paid for helping you. You will not be charged anything additional than question value.

Best Regards,