Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have Helium portable iomega hard drive and it is not

Customer Question

i have Helium portable iomega hard drive and it is not talking to my mac. i have 7000 songs in my mac and all has exclamation marks in front.i am not able to find that file in my computer.if i find that file then i do not have to worry about iomega
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

The reason the songs have the ! is because of this problem. They are not actually on the Mac but on the Drive so we need to get this working in order to get the songs recovered.

First, have you tried connecting the drive to a different USB port on the Mac?

If so, have you tried using a different cable to rule this out as the issue?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at apple store theydid try different code
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I am not sure what you are referring to with a code.

Did you see my previous message?

I will repeat as you may have missed it.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried different cable and different usb port on our both couputer since it is shared hard drive between my husband and me
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

On the other computer, is the Iomega being detected? Or it is also not being detected on that computer either?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can sugest what to do before we talk please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, sorry but again I do not understand your last message...

I am not sure if your seeing all my messages, and not sure what you mean with talk, as we are chatting here...

But I will repeat the last message

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand your message correctly.none of the computer recognise the hard drive.i would love to chat on computer rather then calling you on phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happened? no answer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

EDIT: Sorry about the delay, I needed a few minutes to type out your answer which is below

ok... I think then your referring to the websites offer of having someone call you? You can ignore that... I only work here online

But the issue is then confirmed, the hard drive in the Iomega has crashed and this is why it cannot be accessed. The computer has been ruled out as has the USB port and the cable

It is always a risk with external drives and why they should only be used as a secondary storage, not to store the only copy of date available as when this happens, the data is lost.

But unless you wish to send the hard drive into a company that will dismantle it and scan off the data (it can be costly but you can check costs by calling 1-***-***-****)

You then send the disk in to them, they dismantle it, manually scan it with specialized tools and send the data back on another disk (this disk you cannot use)

But this will be the only way to get the data back, and it is not guaranteed all data can be returned, it depends on the extent of the damage with the crash

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much is this costing me?since problem is not resolved? i did call this no yesterday and it is expensive service so i was trying to find some solution
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I cannot see the cost from here, you would need to email customer service on***@******.*** as I am only an engineer.

It is for the service you pay, if it was only if the problem was fixed, then no one would work on this due to the chance the hard disk itself has crashed which cannot be fixed or undone, being a hardware fault. What I did was confirm the issue for you and listed out your options.

We do not have a number to actually call, so I am not sure which number you called and what price you heard but I know this site is pretty cheap, especially compared to other technical support options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hard drive is problem that i knew before i called chat with you .my question was how to fix it by you.i knew i can send it to people who can retrieve data.What no shall i call to find out the charges?since i am suppose to pay only if i got help.and problem is resolved
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I understand your question my question was how to fix it And I can only answer it. You cannot fix it, its a hardware fault on the drive itself.

You can call(###) ###-####for customer service.