Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a Mac Mini that was running Snow leopard (I think)

Customer Question

I have a Mac Mini that was running Snow leopard (I think) and suddenly Word & Excel 2008 just stopped working. I tried to reload the original CD, but no go. I then bought Office 2014 and it told me I couldn't run it w/out upgrading my OS. When I tried this, it went into a repeating 45 minute spiral installation of defeat. The next morning, there was Half Dome on my desktop (?). THEN I found out that my iPhoto program was gone... Now, the whole system is disintegrating bits at a time. I would like it to be just like it was with Office 2008, iPhoto, etc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have the Snow Leopard installation discs ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. Would take a bit of looking... I did install a newer Mac on my network in July, and at the same time hooked the network up with Time Machine. The date of the first time I noticed Word 2008 not working was after the installation of Time Machine - if that makes any difference.I am almost ready to switch to the newer Mac, but of course there is so much stuff on my old Mini that I still reference. And I'm really pissed off that iPhoto isn't on Yosemite. The photo program update is really inferior. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to buy or update iPhoto.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is strange. Time Machine would not mess up anything. Not sure what happened.

Apple has replaced iPhoto with new application called Photos app. Photos app does support your old iPhoto library. So you will be able to open Photos and see all the photos that were in iPhoto. The new Mac will come with Photos instead of iPhoto so it is better to start using Photos so you won't have any issues with migrating the library when you get it.

The only iPhoto that support Mac OS X 10.10 or 10.11 is iPhoto 9.6.1. It seems like you didn't upgrade to latest iPhoto prior to the OS X upgrade you did. That it is why it is not working now. It is not your fault, it is Apple who did this. Apple has also removed iPhoto from App Store. So you will not be able to get it from App Store. But if you get access to another Mac with iPhoto 9.6.1, then you can copy it to your Mac and run it.

When you get a new Mac, you can easily transfer everything from your old mini to new Mac using Migration Assistant --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204350

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm not saying Time Machine messed up Word/Excel 2008 - I just thought that perhaps Time Machine could help my Mini go back to a date (probably July 19, 2015) before I upgraded to Office 2014 and Yosemite. Then iPhoto would still be there, as would all my files that were saved in Word/Excel 2008.The reason I had to do all the upgrades is that I am the newsletter editor for my unincorporated county district, and when the deadline approached to publish the newsletter, I couldn't get Word 2008 to open and bring up the last edition, which is the template. I was then pressed to buy Office 2014 and also buy into 'the Cloud' - and now it is so frustrating to have to sign in just to use any program in Office 2014 - and also, my poor old Mini keeps crashing with both these programs, and now also crashed Entourage, as well. And Google Chrome constantly gives that "Oops!" message.I have the new computer, also a Mac Mini. This one is supposed to be able to run with my Wacom DTZ 21000 monitor. As I said, I am ready to switch over to it. I would just like to retire my old Mini with the good old iPhoto program, and process all my camera pics thru it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes. A complete restore from Time Machine will revert it back to old OS and Word/Excel along with the files backed up then. To do that, you have to boot into OS X recovery and select Restore From Time Machine from here. To boot into OS X recovery, restart and immediately hold down Command and R keys for 20 seconds. Or press and hold down Option key immediately after restarting your Mac and select Recovery HD.

But I'd recommend to backup or transfer everything from your old Mini or new Mini before doing the restore from Time Machine. So if anything goes wrong, you'd have the backup. Office 2014 comes with Outlook instead of Entourage. You can use it for email.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can I try this in the morning and get back to you?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we can continue anytime you want.