Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Hyperlinks do not function in Iweb after el capitan upgrade

Customer Question

hyperlinks do not function in Iweb after el capitan upgrade
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Try clearing your browser's cache (Command+Option+E for Safari) and reload the site.

Or test the site in another browser to check if the links work there.

If the links don't work on any browser on any computer, then there is a design issue with the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,I tried Firefox but still no hyperlinks? I do notice that the email links do publish and function but the navigation bar does not show the font within them but they work if you click on them??Frank ……….
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,This website has been operating for years with no problems under iWeb, so I don't think this is a site design issue. This problem has been happening to all my websites since the upgrade to El Capitan?? It definitely has affected the iWeb application is some way. I've been to the web and many other folks are having the same problem, so this is not an isolated issue.Frank .........
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frank,

Is it only affecting links on your own iMac?

What is the URL so I can check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not published updates to the server as yet, this site needs to be up 24/7 365 so I can't publish to the server and then have it bomb ........ this is not an option. I get the problem within my iMac's HD Dir. The URL for the site is www.deejaysforyou.com
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, all seems fine here. I have tested using several different browsers on both a PC and a Mac.

So you are correct that it seems to be just within your iMac.

Can you try disabling Javascript on your iMac and let me know if the links work ok again?

Also try temporarily disabling any antivirus or security software you are using and try again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't antivirus software. I disabled Java in Safari to no avail. Links still not working ?????
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have another user account on the iMac that you can test with?

Or can you log on as guest and try it there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll try it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have another account but I did log in as guest went to iWeb published a fictitious site real quick and the same situation prevails. Go site within the Mac shows the finger for the hyperlink but you can't see the hyperlink in the website so I know the links are working you just can't see them ! ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Just to confirm, did you try clearing Safari's cache (Command+Option+E for Safari) and try again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to no avail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I have tried this and still no change. I really think the problem lies within the iWeb application itself, due to the upgrade of El Capitan. I've updated these sites for years with no problems at all under the previousl operating systems, it's only until El Capitan upgrade that it started. I'm dead in the water with all my sites, if I try to update them I'll loose my hyperlinks, then the fun really starts!!Frank ..........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, are you still working the problem ..... I haven't heard from you today?Frank ...........
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frank,

I'm out of ideas on this one, so I have opened up the question to the other experts again to review what we have tried so far and offer further suggestions.

Pete.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Frank and welcome

If you hold down Command and then click the Hyperlink, what then happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard,
I tried the Command click on the navigation bar where there is no font showing although they are still Active. If I use these key and click commands it creates another TAB for that page or URL in Safari, If I just click when the finger icon appeares (you have to search in the direction of the text box to find it because the text box is not visible) it opens up a new window and displays the page with no problems. The problem is no fonts in the navigation bars and any text box with fonts and a hyperlink will not appear when published but the hyperlinks are there and working. It all comes down to the font not apearing when published.
As I have stated previously, this all transpires within my iMac as I don't want to disturb my websites until I can resolved this issue. I did however try to publish to my server with one of the sites and the same issue occurred, I just reinstalled my backup, so I know it is not working when published to the server. Hope you can help Richard.
Frank ........
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

when you say no font showing, what exactly do you mean with this? You do not see the text, it is invisible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a hyperlink within a text box the font is not visible, all other text boxes without hyperlinks are visible. The navigation bars the text is not visible but all still function!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

This happens on multiple computers with el capitan? Or just one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one computer so I can't answer that but doing my research on the web there are many other iWeb users having the same problem so I know it is not my computer only. I've owned my iMac since 2008 and have never ha a whisper of a problem until I upgraded to El Capitan.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, when I checked I saw a lot of favourable reports, especially in respect to improvements over Yosemite, but it may be a bug in El Capitan thats caused this.

We will though rule out any issues on the computer that can make this happen via a hard disk repair.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll get back to you!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing found .... exit code 0 still no change!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then its going to be something with iWeb and the new OSX.

I think your better with a programmer, and I will opt out and see if another expert has further ideas.

You do not need to do anything, you will be notified when an expert takes over your case.

Sorry I could not solve this for you.

Richard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, thanks for trying, I think you may be right about iWeb and the OSX, well lets see where this takes us!Thanks Again,
Frank .........
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Which Version of iWeb you are using ? If you are using an old version of iWeb, please update it to iWeb 3.4. Visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1413?locale=en_US

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jins,
My name is ***** ***** I hope you can help me. I'm using iWeb 3.0.4 the latest version. Thank you for the download site. I reinstalled iWeb hoping to cure any corruption within the file system. I still have the same problem, so I think it is not iWeb that is causing this issue. This all come about with the upgrade of El Capitan, before that everything was working fine for years? I hope you can help!
Frank .......
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer. Then I can send you the details to connect. If I can't fix the problem you will get full refund.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jins,What about the 34.00 dollars that I was charged for the problem to be solved ..... and it was not! Why am I being charges to fix my problem (2) twice??? If you would like I will pay the remaining 6.00 dollars for this service.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Actually, remote support is an additional service and that is why the extra amount. If I can't fix the problem you will get full refund.

On your Mac please go to http://tinyurl.com/dygcqt6 and download teamviewer client app. Double click on the downloaded file to launch the program. Then let me know the nine digit id and the password ***** shows you. Please make sure that program is running on your system and not closed. Then I can connect to your system and can fix the issue. You should keep it open until we finish the work. When I am trying to connect team viewer will notify you and you need to click on the Trustworthy button on that notification to authenticate me to connect.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jins,
My websites have not been updated because of this problem, PLEASE do not publish to my servers until the problem is fixed!!! I need these sites up and running. You can publish within my iMac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ID: 651 390 000
Password: 4156