Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My mac started being unresponsive two days ago. I've been

Customer Question

My mac started being unresponsive two days ago. I've been trying to work with it, but I am just getting more upset and frustrated. It will turn on quicker now and will load safari and outlook (what I use it for most often) but then it is unresponsive inside those applications.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To start with, do you know or have an idea what version of mac OSX is installed on your machine..

10.7 10.8 10.9 10.10 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recall the last update that was done, and my computer keeps freezing. I am trying to look it up.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.. Lets try some repairs and maybe we can find out.

Shut down the mac. Then, hold down t he left shift key on your keyboard and start your mac. Keep holding the left shift key until the stratup chime, this should put you in safe mode.

Then, try this repair.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once its complete. can you check the osx version as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't even turn on now. I've tried it twice.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, lets try this instead..

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Will that get it to show some signs of life?

If not.. This may be an issue with your magsafe charger.. you did say you have a macbook correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a MacBook Pro and there are signs of love!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Life...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's doing an Internet reboot...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Excellent! If the Pram reset we just did got it moving again..

Do you mean internet recovery? If so, that will take a few hours, but the machine will run normally again..

Please clarify~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. Thats a good sign.. An internet recovery wont erase your files.. As long as you didnt click on " erase and install"

Other then that, were in a holding pattern till it finishes.. But the machine should be running well after. Keep me posted!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do...thank you so much. And thanks for your service
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

It was a life changing experience, that Im glad to have had. I will be working the next 8 hours, so dont hesitate to respond.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now restore from time machine back up or reinstall Mac OS X?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Choose reinstall OSX.

Do not choose erase and install

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Choose reinstall OSX.

Do not choose erase and install

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not giving me a disk location to which I can install it
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. lets try this.. Shut the mac down.. And lets skip the reinstall.. Instead.. try this

Then, try this repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not even turn on that way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will do nothing now.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Try the pram reset again..

Shut down your Mac.
Turn on your Mac.

Release the keys.

Will that get it to turn on, or show any signs of power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that too and it just keeps singing and flashing the gray screen intermittently.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hmm.. How about if you try to start while holding the left shift key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The apple appears on the gray screen for a few seconds then it goes black...shuts back down
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Seems that this is more then a software issue. Your charging port should have a power light on it, yes?

What color does the light turn when you try to turn it on.. Or, when you unplug the charger and plug it back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is orange
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

at np point does it turn green? not when you disconnect it and reconnect? or turn off and on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was green when I initially plugged it in but it is steady orange now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe this will work. I'll have to take it somewhere to get checked out. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.. Though I do believe this is repairable with a SMC reset, or efi or smc firmware update. You shouldnt have to replace the mainboard or anything like that.

If you do take it in and want a second opinion, youre welcome to contact me.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem..

D.S