Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How can i transfer passwords and bookmarks from one user

Customer Question

how can i transfer passwords and bookmarks from one user account to another using the same iMac and safari?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

To do that, you have to copy the Safari folder from the Library folder from one account to the exact location of another account. In Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Copy Safari folder to a flash drive (or to the Applications folder).

Then login to the other account. Then in Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Then copy the Safari folder from the flash drive or Applications folder to the Library by replacing the current Safari folder there. This will replace everything from Safari with the copied data.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yosemite 10.10.5
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my answer re transferring the data ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm attempting to follow ur instructions now, im a little slow as i am not very mac savy.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Take your time. I will be here if you need any assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. i appreciate ur patience.
how to i copy the safari folder to my flash drive?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a flash drive or USB thumb drive handy ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

To copy, just right click on the Safari folder and select "Copy Safari". Then open flash drive or applications folder, right click and click Paste item from the sub menu.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats the difference b/t a flash drive and a usb thumb drive?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Both are same but different name only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I copy the safari folder from flash drive to library do I want to merge or replace it with the one that already exists?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Replace and this will replace everything of that Safari with new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so i followed ur instructions to a "T" and all of the bookmarks seem to be there on my new user account but none of my passwords seem to be automatically entered. I.E. when i go to login to the just answer website via my new user account i have to type in my username and password ***** the same with email, and so forth. why is it doing this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is because the password ***** saved on different folder named Keychain. You can move it to new account just like you did for Safari.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so will u walk me thru that process please
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Sure, same procedure

You have to copy the Keychain folder from the Library folder from one account to the exact location of another account. In Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Copy Keychain folder to a flash drive (or to the Applications folder).

Then login to the other account. Then in Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Then copy the Keychain folder from the flash drive or Applications folder to the Library by replacing the current Keychain folder there. This will replace everything from Keychain with the copied data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I replace the keychain folder like we did before or merge it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Replace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so I did that went to have a smoke when I came back my mac had went to sleep and so I had to sign back on upon doing so I message was displayed saying
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Click Continue Login.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i must be doing something wrong still having to type in my user name and passwords manually as oppsed to the computer auto filling them on the new user account in safari. when i went to the safari preference tab on my new user account then to the password ***** there were only about 8 websites that had my password ***** file to use (so to speak)and on my previous user account i.e. the user account that we were transferring data from there was 50 passwords that were ready to be auto filled for. i hope this makes sense what i am trying to convey. what is our next step?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Understood. Reset the keychain of problem account. Don't reset the keychain of your original account that has the passwords.

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access. Let me know once you did that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done with that part
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

On the old account, copy the keychain folder to your flash drive. Login to the "another" account. Open Keychain Access. Click on File and select Add Keychain. Select the login.keychain file and add it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay got that done
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Does it successfully import ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When you added the login.keychain file, did you get any message ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Add the login.keychain file again. Open Keychain Access, then click on File menu and select Add Keychain. Follow the onscreen instructions to add it. After adding, click Keychain Access menu and select Keychain First Aid.

Run it.

Isn't there very late in there ? If you want, we can continue tomorrow. Just add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me tomorrow. This question will not be closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I have selected add keychain from the file tab in keychain access there is no onscreen directions on adding it once I add that file there is no message or anything
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

After clicking Add Keychain, doesn't it give a window to select the keychain (similar to Browse file window) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then I click on the name that says login.keychain then I click on the "add" button and that window goes away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I type in password ***** keychain first aid do I want to verify or repair keychain configuration?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said no problems found
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is very late what time will u be available tomorrow or actually later today
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm getting out of ideas on this one. Lets try one more thing. First change the password ***** second account to same as first account, so both accounts will have same account password. Then copy the whole Keychain folder from the original account's Library to this account's Library replacing the existing keychain. Then open Keychain and run First Aid.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can continue tomorrow. Anytime you prefer. Just reply back to me when you are avialalbe and I will get back to you ASAP.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I will be here for the next 7 hours.

If the above doesn't work, then I have one more suggestion to try. Let me know how it goes.

Also after doing the above step, if your MAc ask for password, use the password ***** the original account.