Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Ipod 80gb frozen, Do not disconnect. I plugged my son's

Customer Question

ipod 80gb frozen, Do not disconnect. I plugged my son's old ipod 80gb into my new hp (windows) computer thinking I could access the music. I guess that doesn't work. It froze, it says do not disconnect but it was frozen, I didn't know what else to do so
I unplugged it. Now it is stuck at Do not disconnect and won't respond to anything. I looked online, they say to hold the center button & Menu at the same time but that does nothing. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi thee and welcome

Can you hold the Center Button and the Power button for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo then release.

Then let the iPod restart and tell me please if it then functions.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming that the power button is the play button. If that's so, then No, it didn't work. Do you want it plugged into the computer while I do this or not? I actually tried it both ways, but it didn't react at all. Also when I plug it in or unplug it from the computer, it makes no sound, it doesn't know anything is connecting. I don't have iTunes on this computer at all.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That is correct, the next step is with the computer but we need iTunes.

So go to www.itunes.com

Download and install it, then connect the iPod to the computer and repeat the instructions we just did and tell me please if itunes detects it,

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded itunes (it's called iTunes6464Setup.exe) and installed it. I got the itunes running on my computer, the main window is open. I chose the tab called My Music. I plugged the ipod into the computer. It doesn't make any sounds, it doesn't know anything is connected. I chose Scan for Media but it doesn't do anything. I held the center & the play button for over 10 seconds but no reaction from ipod or computer. I also tried holding down center & menu but still no reaction. It was originally listed in Device Manager as a USB Mass Storage device but it's not listed there because when this issue happened I uninstalled it hoping that would help. The screen is lit up, it says Do not disconnect, and nothing changes. Plugging it into the computer which is running iTunes made no difference. More help please?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

It is the internal memory in the iPod that has faulted.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the recovery window, confirms it is the memory that shorts out, and causes the device to stall.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the iPod to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the device manager recognizes it now, and mcafee wants to scan it. it's listed as a usb mass storage device. Does this mean the internal memory is faulty or could it be something else?
thank you, ***** ***** I'm just not giving up.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Its ok, the cjipset that is used for detection still works, its the memory itself that has faulted, as it cannot read it.

But the test really is disconnect it and see if the device itself can now read its memory.

Let me know please