Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I can't login to my MacBook Pro. Even on safe mode it stays

Customer Question

Hi I can't login to my MacBook Pro. Even on safe mode it stays on black screen and can see only the cursor.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then Highlight your hard drive and on the right select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that already. It's all green. I did it now again
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok can you plug it i to your network directly and then try resintall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that once already today after that all worked good. Then after restarting same problem. So I tried to reinstall again, it started downloading and suddenly it stopped with an error message to try to get it from purchases. Then I tried it again and it wasn't even downloading it.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What year MacBook is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember exactly it's about 4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have switched the HDD to SSD and removed the Disc and have the old HDD as secondary. That's the set up right now.but everything has been working fine without problems.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a time Machine Backup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have but its time ago and I have changed all my folders since. And it's mostly work stuff.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK that would have saved you in this situation. You can boot from it and completely erase the whole device then reinstall and restore. We can still try to reinstall using it. Plug it in and then reboot holding Option then choose the backup to boot from. Choose Reinstall and then chose your internal drive to install on. It will only work if it is the same exact system version

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I lose my data? If yes I can't do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just started it again now so let's see?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

No you are just reinstalling the same as you would using Recovery HD but there is something wrong with your Recovery partition. Hopefully the backup has the same exact version of the system. I can't stress enough the need to always keep that Time Machine backup up to date. You could of course also use Internet Recovery but then you lose everything except your old backup. That may be the case anyway but let's see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says 3hrs to go. Can you tell me in case it will not work now how to do it from the time machine and not to lose my data?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I just did. You boot from it and then chose Reinstall same as you would using Recovery HD but if it is even one point different than the system now installed, i.e. 10.10.2 instead of 10.10.5 it won't work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's different the running system is the most updated one. The time machine is couple months back. So in case it will not work now using the Internet reinstall what can I do? Always of course without losing my data.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Without a recent backup that's it. You can still try the TM resinall it may take you back to the two month old system version or it may say you can't do it, either way your files should be intact but since I can't be sure what is wrong there is no guarantee with any of these methods. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!