Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I'm needing to install updates on my mother MacBook Air.

Customer Question

My name is***** i'm needing to install updates on my mother MacBook Air. I've tried every Password ***** can find of hers with no luck. Is there a way we can reset the User ID and Password ***** me and delete her information? My mother passed away over a year ago and I kept putting this off.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.'

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are using 10.7 or later version of OS X, then you can reset the administrator password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below;

Turn off your Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. Confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal.

After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you want to create a brand new account for your use, then follow the steps below;

• Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode (a special mode or screen)

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account for your own use. Then go to System Preferences > Users & Groups or Account, select your mother's account and delete it if you don't want her information. Remember, doing this will erase all the files from her account like her photos, documents, musics etc