Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I turn my laptop on but it just shows the apple symbol and

Customer Question

I turn my laptop on but it just shows the apple symbol and the twirly thing below it and won't go any further. What can I do to fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not.

First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Did that work ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has come on but I pressed other user which I rob ably should not have done as it isn't doing anything like going into mail or saphari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not always in range Home number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return. Let me know if it turn on now.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I will give you instructions in here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give up oh no it has come good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is it working now ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If it is working now, then check Safari and Mail. Then restart your Mac. Let me know the results please. Please reply.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?