Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

ICloud. Receive a letter requiring update of my credit card

Customer Question

iCloud. Receive a letter requiring update of my credit card info. Received the following instructions:
Follow the instructions below to update your billing information:
1.
Go to Settings and tap iCloud.
2.
Tap your name.
3.
Tap Payment and follow the prompts.
System doesn't allow me to follow these steps.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you sure you've received that email/letter from Apple ? The reason I'm asking is, there are many scams out there that trick you into believe that the message is from Apple and then steal your credit card information.

Don't click on any links or websites on that email. If it is legit, then we can change it direct way. What device are you using ? Apple Mac, iPhone, iPod or iPad

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What Apple device are you using ? Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod or a Mac computer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wondered whether it could be a scam. Certainly looked official. The page I responded to required a payment of ~$25 for help. I was astonished that I should be required to pay but having spent much time trying to navigate your website I decided it was not worth the effort to continue trying for a small sum. Unfortunately I gave them cc #. This all arose because I recently change my cc. Can you verify that I paid a legit Apple site? The demand here for $20 to talk on the phone is similar to the prior demand. Hopefully I don't need to cancel my card again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, This is JustAnswer a paid support site. We're not affiliated to Apple. Unfortunately, I can't check the credit card as I've no access to your account. But I can give you instructions in here to solve the problem. The $20 phone offer is only an optional service. I can help you here until we resolve the issue.

Apple usually don't send you email to change the card or ask for any payment to change the info. What is the from address of that email ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Can we do a remote support session, so I can remotely connect to your computer with your permission and I will take a look at that message to check if it legit or not ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If that email took you into any website and you provided the credit card info there, then I'd recommend to call your credit card company and block it. I myself have received so many kind of emails asking for updating payments, changing password, warning about unauthorized access etc and Yes, they certainly looked official.

This JustAnswer website has not anything to do with the iCloud notice you had received. See here to know how to change the CC for Apple ID --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201266

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Just checking. How is it going ?