Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iPhoto crashed it saysYour photo library is damaged or

Customer Question

my iPhoto crashed it saysYour photo library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please restore from a backup. How can I recover from this do I have to buy a new program?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 10.8.5
2.7 GHz Intel Core 17
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK let's check your drive first:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then Highlight your hard drive and on the right select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry it took so long the green ok came on but the system would not let me select repair disc permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you are selecting the second indented item on the left?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I selected the one that said just HD the first one said apple and a bunch of stuff I did not recognize
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then the was 2 more under those the first one said OSx and other stuff
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot Repair Permissions on the second item in the list but Verify Disk was ok then you will have to quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X. That will take some time so you may have to let me know tomorrow if that fixes it or not.