Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

I responded to the request to update my ipad with new

Customer Question

I responded to the request to update my ipad with new softeare. After the download I was asked for password ***** id. Forgotten, i began entering common passeords I use. All failed and with each failure
The longer my ipad was disabled. Alarms were sent to my children who are thousands of miles away and usually can help me out of these kind of messes:fail. A trip yo my carrier Verizon also failed. At home my Apple store tech help is10 min away. Here it is in another state. I hope you can get my ipad back. My girls tell
Me I need to get reconnectedto WIFI. The Verizon tech says I need my
Apple password ***** I cannot remember. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Did the iPad ask to connect to your Wi-Fi/wireless network yet? If it did, did it ask for your Wi-Fi/wireless password?

Or is the iPad currently asking for your Apple ID and password ***** now? If yes, does it show part of your email address Apple ID? If yes, do you have access to that email address?

Besides the iPad, do you also have a windows or mac computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn on I am greeted with "Hello" in s number of languages. Then I am given a page that says "Enter Passcode. Ipad requires your passcode after restarting" when I tried what I thought might be my passcord I am disabled.

Thank you. Besides the iPad, do you also have a Windows or Mac computer? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to pay more $ for a live phone call. I do not have access to a computer.

I'm sorry. There is no phone call needed. In this case, you need a computer temporarily only in order to fix the iPad. Doesn't Verizon have a computer? Can you go to a friend's place to use the computer temporarily? We just need to connect the iPad to the computer in order to restore / fix it. Would you like me to provide written instructions for fixing this issue,then you can try when you have access to a computer temporarily?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please provide written instructions. I will see i I can access someone's computer tomorrow. How will I connect with you tomorrow if needed? Must I pay another 30$ to do so???

Thank you. Yes, you can get back to me any time at this web page. And no, there is no additional cost at all so don't worry. Please stay here a few minutes while I'm writing the instructions. Thank you.

STEP 1: Download and install the latest iTunes program at the website below on teh computer:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

STEP 2:

1. Open the iTunes program on your computer.
  2. Press & hold the Power button on the iPad until it lets you slide to turn off, then slide to turn off.
  3. Connect the iPad to your computer with the iPad's USB cable.
  4. On the iPad, press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  5. After 10 or 11 seconds, release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button (for about another 10 seconds) until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  6. Click OK or Restore / factory reset.

- If needed, please watch video instructions at the website below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

- Once that is done, it will let you re-set up the iPad.

STEP 3:

- The iPad will then ask for your Wi-Fi/wireless password. If you do not remember it, it is usually at the back/bottom of your Internet/wireless modem/router device. If needed, contact your internet service provider for your Wi-Fi/wireless password/key.

- The iPad will also ask for your Apple ID account password. If you do not remember it, then you can reset your Apple ID account password ***** the Apple website below:

https://iforgot.apple.com/

Do you have any further question for now?

Please get back to me tomorrow or whenever you are available. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thousands of miles from home and do mit have access to my modem/router. Verizon told me today they had no access to my password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must say I would never have updated my software if I knew it would cause all this trouble and frustration. I never even use itunes! The popup intimidated me to update.

I'm sorry. No one has your passcode, which you set up for your iPad (to prevent other people from using your iPad.) Since you don't remember it, then you would need a computer to reset the iPad. Can you use someone's computer temporarily? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see what I can do tomorrow. Thank you.

You're welcome. OK. If possible, please try my suggestions tomorrow, then please get back to me at this web page. Also, do you need help with anything else today, such as accessing your email on another device, etc.? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using my iphone to communicate and check emails. Thank you, ***** ***** be in touch.

You're welcome. I see that you can use email and internet on the iPhone. OK, please update me tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

To get back to me any time at this web page, please select the View Answer link in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet in your email. Then type at the box below on this web page. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got to step 4. The ipad is just showing "hello". The home button does mot appear,

The Home button is always located at the bottom below the screen. Can you please tap on or swipe on the screen to continue? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The icons do not appear, no matter how often I swipe it. I just get a pictue of a keyboard and the request for a password.Should I try to enter the wifi password ***** this residence?

Yes, If it is asking / showing your Wi-Fi/wireless network name, then please enter your correct Wi-Fi password (it is case-sensitive.) Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second letter I got disabled and it says to "connect to itunes". We are trying to do that now.

OK. If needed, please try my exact steps previously. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are connected to itunes and the ipad is still disabled and asking us to connect to itunes. Sigh

I'm sorry. Did you follow my exact steps previously? Did you watch the video instructions?

To confirm, you currently have access to a windows or mac compute right now?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did follow instructions. Will watch the video now... Did not know about it.

OK, also, to confirm, you currently have access to a windows or mac compute right now? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am connected to a Mac book air. I folliwed the video correctly until the narrator had a restored screen and I had the
Ipad is disabled" message. The Mac now has a message saying " itunes cannot connect to the ipad because it is locked with a passcode on the ipad before it can be used on the itunes. I cannot even attempt to do that since the Ipad is disabled!

I'm sorry, that means you did not follow the steps exactly. The steps must be done exactly or else it will continue to say disabled. It may take a few tries. Please watch the video carefully again. And/or follow the exact steps below:

4. On the iPad, press and keep holding both the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  6. Click OK or Restore / factory reset.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try again tomorrow. This is awful and I am imposing on anothers computer. I wish there was a warning that I needed to reconnect when I responded to the upgrade!

I'm sorry about that. Unfortunately, usually it does not need to be connected to a computer, but with some devices / models, sometimes there is corruption during upgrading, so it requires connecting. Please take your time; please get back to me tomorrow to continue. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had gotten to step 5 ... Where was the OK or Restore/ factory reset?? It was not on the video.

That would be in the iTunes program on the computer. After doing the first 5 steps, what do you see in the iTunes program on the computer? Please let me know. Thank you.