Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

When I did an upgrade on my MAC, all of the photos and

Customer Question

when I did an upgrade for iPhoto on my MAC, all of the photos and albums disappeared. The Apple store helped retrieve almost all of my 14000 photos but my 67 photo albums were still no longer there. The albums are on my iPad still. Is there a way to put the albums from the iPad back into iPhoto on the MAC? I have been afraid to even sync my iPad to the MAC for fear I would lose the Albums on the iPad. I have 22 grandchildren and great-grandchildren and have spent untold hours organizing my photos into albums. We bought our MAC mainly because iPhoto was so highly touted for handling pictures. I already had iPods, iPad, iPhone and am called by my family, the iGrandma. Please help!! Marilyn Gideon
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

If they are still on the iPad you can do the following as synching it will not remove the photos

They are then stored safely on the computer

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please

1. Connect your iPad. Plug theconnector to your iPad, and plug the USB end into an available USB port on your PC.

2. Launch iPhoto. If you have configured iPhoto to automatically open when connecting a digital camera, it will launch when you plug in your iPad. If not, open iPhoto from the Dock or from the Applications folder.

3. Import your photos. iPhoto will show you all the images currently on your Camera Roll but not yet imported.

• For selective import, click on each individual photo you wish to import. Shift-click on the beginning and ending pictures of a series, if you want to import a contiguous range of photos; Command-click on images to select multiple discontinuous photos.
    • When you're done with your selections, click the blue Import Selected button.
    • Alternatively, to import all photos at once, click the black Import [n] Photos to do a bulk import.
  4. Review your photos. The photos will now be imported into your iPhoto library. After the import completes you will be asked whether you want to keep or delete the images you have just imported.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did not read my question! You are telling me how to transfer photos from the iPad into iTunes which is what I've been able to do since I got my first ipad 4 years ago. I had 14000 pictures in iPhoto and these were organized into 67 albums. When I updated the iPhoto App, they all disappeared!! The photos have been recovered but not the ALBUMS. These are what I want to recover into iPhoto.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to try to answer my actual question? I received an email asking me to do a review on you. I don't think you want me to do a review until you address my actual concern. My photos were recovered back into iPhoto on the MAC. My 67 albums were not! This is what I am asking you to help with. They are still on my iPad but when I sync it on the Mac, the albums are not transferred from the iPad to the iPhoto on the Mac. I've been transferring all my photos into albums for years and I don't want to have spend years getting them back in. Please help me to recover my albums. I
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

Sorry I was not online when you replied. I just wanted to make sure first you were using the right procedure, and I never know the knowledge of my customers here, so make sure to be thorough.

If the albums are not being brought over, then via itunes it will not be possible as there is a level of corruption occuring.

One trick that I have done in the past that can work is on the iPad, go to iPad Settings>iCloud>photo stream - turn that on.

Then on your Mac, go to go to System Prefrences>iCloud>photo stream.

Then on the Mac,

Launch iPhoto as you would normally, click iPhoto in the left corner of the application taskbar, and select Preferences from the resulting drop-down menu. Afterward, navigate to the iCloud tab within navigation bar and check the box directly left of My Photo Stream.

Click iCloud in the Source List located on the left side of the application window and select the Use iCloud option. Doing so will allow any new photos that you import into iPhoto to be uploaded to iCloud and added to My Photo Stream. Moreover, any photos added to My Photo Stream via your iOS device will automatically be imported into your iPhoto library.

Do you then see the albums? Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went through the procedure you sent me and the albums are still gone. I guess it's time to give up and start recreating the albums.