Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a Macbook Pro 15-inch with Retina running Maverick

Customer Question

I have a Macbook Pro 15-inch with Retina running Maverick 10.9.5. I just bought an Apple wired keyboard (model A1243 - Italian keyboard), but when I plug it into either port, my MPB doesn't recognize it and no instructions appear on the software update screen. I know it isn't the ports because both work fine when I back up to an external drive, recharge my iPhone, use a stick, etc. I used the cable extender with no luck, rebooted with no luck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.It is possible the keyboard itself has failed. But first Open Universal Access preferences (in System Preferences) and click the Mouse tab. Verify that Mouse Keys is Off. (With Mouse Keys on you can use the keyboard or the numeric keypad keys to move the mouse, however normal keyboard functionality will be disabled until the Mouse Keys feature is turned off.) If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't use a mouse with this laptop and the the mouse key has never been turned on. Verified by doing as you asked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, I just bought the keyboard; it is a brand new Apple keyboard.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

It being brand new does not mean it works, it would just mean it could be defective. Can you try another or try this one on another Mac? That is the only way to rule it out since you already ruled out the ports themselves.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried it on my 13-inch MBP and got nothing. However, I am not surprised as all the research I've done has indicated that this is a problem with MBPs. What I need is to find out how to get it to work. Getting nothing on two MBPs doesn't tell me anything and I don't know anyone who has a desktop Mac (I live in Italy). Surely, since this seems to be an issue with MBPs, someone at JustAsk has helped someone else with this issue. Since it is an issue with MBPs, although possible, I highly doubt that a brand new keyboard is defective. Don't you have a resource that addresses this issue?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

As I have told you twice before it is very likely the keyboard itself is defective (meaning a new device that does not work) and yes we have dealt with this before, normally it is caused by mouse keys. Since you refuse to accept that possibility I will opt out and open this to all experts rather than continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not refusing the possibility that the keyboard is defective, I simply doubt it. I'm asking for some possible solutions to try before I hike back to the Apple Store to get a replacement just to have the same issue arise. You have a poor attitude, Freddy. You've offered no possible solutions, then blame it on me because I have a "doubt." Again, I did not "refuse to accept responsibility." You've refused to offer possible solutions other than "the keyboard is defective." Thanks for moving me onto to someone else. You've completely failed to provide any service of any value.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

There is an easy way to find out if it is defective. First do this:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.

8. Release the keys.

Then go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac then System Report. Select USB on the left if you see the keyboard listed on the right then the computer is seeing the device. Let me know.