Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How can I access my Toshiba External 2TB HDD that says is

Customer Question

How can I access my Toshiba External 2TB HDD that says is Read Only?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It sounds like the hard drive is formatted as NTFS which only works as Read Only. We have to reformat it for Mac. Is this a new hard drive ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you have any important files on it, then backup them to your Mac first as formatting will erase everything from it. Then you have to reformat it for you Mac. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your Toshiba hard drive in the left column. Under Erase tab, select Mac OS Journaled / Extended

Then click the Erase button and it will be formatted for Mac. Now you can copy the files to it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.