Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My ID and password will not allow me into computer. Only way

Customer Question

My ID and password ***** not allow me into computer. Only way in is a guest
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then Highlight your hard drive and on the right select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i get into app menu
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

The Apple menu is the logo in the far upper left of your screen.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you start a new question?

You will have to reset the password.

1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button and immediately hold down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys.
  3. You will see a window that says MAC OS X Utilities choose the word Utilities at the very top of that screen and then choose Terminal.
  4. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  5. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be Macintosh HD).
  6. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  7. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  8. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  9. Click Save.
  10. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  11. Click Apple > Shut Down.
  12. Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.