Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have an Intel i5 iMac (21.5) from 2010, no chime and gets

Customer Question

Hi Mike,
I have an Intel i5 iMac (21.5) from 2010, no chime and gets the apple logo briefly and goes right to white screen. Disconnected the time machine external drive - same thing. Has stock 1TB SATA hard disk and 8 GB RAM (2 DIMMs). Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Tell me if it then starts correctly please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no startup chime.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you do the following please

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

What then happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing after your recommendation. Gets the apple and progress bar below, then white screen again. No chime. Last time login screen was visible there was a searching for Bluetooth message
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then Highlight your hard drive and on the right select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If all is ok quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The internal hard disk is bad. I finally got it to boot in Safe Mode and then into recovery. I restored from Time Machine (from last week, then a month ago). Hangs after entering password ***** all admin accounts.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you check it with Disk Utility first?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
several errors on permissions (fixed), disk test took forever, but reported nothing. Used to take 5-10 minutes.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK there is no point in restoring from backup or doing anything else until you can get that disk verified and then either repaired or reformatted. Restart and hold the Option or ALT key until you see a list of boot partitions, if the Time Machine drive is connected you should see it as a boot option. Choose that to boot from then use the Disk Utility on the TM drive to check Macintosh HD. Let me know

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Where you able to get the disk verified? Please let me know