Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

My MacBook Pro says my password is wrong and i cant log on.

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro says my password ***** ***** and i cant log on. I just erased my hard drive and re installed os lion and transfered some old files from time machin and now it wont accept my password. The hint that comes up refers to the one ive been trying to type in and the reset window for Apple id does not show when i press on it
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! Please follow the steps below

Turn off your Mac.

• Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then in new account, goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account with the new password.

Hello again. I am posting back because i have not heard from you hopefully this a good thing as your problem is possibly fixed. Please either post back if your still having problems or just rate this reply ( 3 stars or better).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it working after a few tries. Thanks for the help. 4 stars